Saturday, May 16, 2009

Do Not Buy ASUS Eee PC With Celeron Processor

Last November, just before I got sick, I bought an ASUS Eee netbook. There is a problem with the motherboard that causes a fully charged battery to go completely flat in about ten days even if you don't turn it on. It even sucks the CMOS flat and you lose all your settings!

DO NOT BUY ANY ASUS NETBOOKS
WITH THE CELERON PROCESSOR!!!

I have returned it under warranty three times, and they still have it. They won't (can't?) fix it, apparently, and their latest BS is to tell me that it's completely normal for a notebook battery to go dead in ten days without use. I suspect the only fix requires either a rework or replacement of the motherboard, and they don't want to spend that much on a warranty repair. I even offered to pay the difference in price to change to a model that does not have the battery drain problem. They seem to think if they run me around enough times I will finally go away. Bad assumption!

I have been in touch with the Washington State Attorney General's office in their Department of Consumer Protection, and they agree that batteries in notebooks should last a whole lot longer than ten days. It looks like the netbook will not be returned in time for the European trip, which is the main reason I bought it in the first place.

I have heard good things about the Acer netbooks, and my new Acer netbook should be here on Monday. What a shame, ASUS used to be such a good company.

Not any longer, I guess......

3 Comments:

At Saturday, May 16, 2009 7:14:00 PM, Blogger tropicsunset said...

I have a celeron unit I bought at best buy the 1000hd and do not have that problem. Some of my other toshiba units tend to lose at least 10 percent charge a day even when new.

Patrick Faiola

 
At Saturday, May 16, 2009 7:23:00 PM, Blogger Mr. Completely said...

Perhaps they resolved the problem with the 1000 series models. Mine is a PC 900.

 
At Tuesday, May 19, 2009 5:29:00 PM, Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Phew! My Asus has an Atom processor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted