Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The Mr. Completely Cosmosphere

N.Z. Bear, proprietor of the TTLB Ecosystem, has been making a bunch of changes to his system. He's been trying to figure out the best way to come up with a way to rank blogs against each other. As you move up in his rankings, you progress from microbes to bugs to worms, and so on up the scale.

Unfortunately with his most recent revisions, a number of people who had managed to evolve up the tree to being warm blooded and furry, have now reverted down to being a grease spot on the bottom of a rock, or something, and they aren't all too happy about it.

To accomplish what NZ Bear is trying to do involves handling a whole lot of data, and trying to keep everyone happy with the way the system works too. Not an easy task.

To ease the pain of being relegated from cute and cuddly to wet, cold, and squishy, we here at Mr. Completely have devised a new system.

This new system, called Mr. Completely's Cosmosphere, is in no way intended to replace the TTLB system. Instead, it is to help those suffering emotional trauma from their crashing relegation back into the primordial soup.

Handling tons and tons of data is a lot of work, and not being fond of work, particularly, Mr. Completely decided to dispense with the data entirely.

Instead, you just pick the particular level you like, copy and paste the code into your side bar, and edit the text line to whatever level you like! After all, who better to judge your blog than you, right?

Simple, HUH! I thought you'd like it!!

You should pick something not TOO high up the list, so you can reward yourself with advancement every so often. Don't start too low, however, as self esteem is important here.

Here's Mr. Completely's Cosmosphere:

Really BIG Galaxy
Smallish Galaxy
Dark Matter
Huge Solar System
Smallish Solar System
Fiery Sun
Really BIG Planet
Medium Planet
Small Planet
Asteroid belt
Asteroid
Comet
Meteor Shower
Meteor
Big Meteorite
meterorite
smallish rock
dust cloud
Dust Particle
Iron Atom
helium atom
electron
quark
Gravitron
Vacuum

Here's the code to add to your sidebar:

{!-- Begin COSMOS --}
{hr}
{b}I am a{br}
Smallish Solar System in{br}
{a href="http://mrcompletely.blogspot.com"}Mr. Completely's Cosmosphere{/a}
{/b}{br}
{hr}
{!-- End COSMOS --}

NOTE: To get this bit of HTML code to display, rather than show the end result, I have changed all of the "<" symbols to "{" and all of the ">" symbols to the "}" symbol. To get this to work, you will have to change them back.

I'm sure there is a HTML tag to use before and after this code to get it to display as written, and if one of you code gurus knows what it is, leave me a comment, and I'll change this post.

The fifth line is all one line, starting with"{href=" and ending with "y's Cosmosphere{/a}". You may have to put the two pieces together, as that line won't all fit on one line here.

Alternately, you can go the page source view for this page, scroll down to the bottom of the right side bar, and copy the code to your clipboard, then paste it from there.

I make no claims about knowing anything about HTML, so feel free to edit and improve it as you see fit. All I ask is that you leave the link to Mr. Completely's Cosmosphere in there, so others can find their way here, and have some fun with this too.

Who knows, maybe N.Z. Bear will get a chuckle out of this too, and add it to HIS blog.

It might cheer him up some, and he deserves a laugh for all the work he does.........

6 Comments:

At Wednesday, November 30, 2005 12:12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shoot! And I thought I was being a Major Geek hacking my XP Registry to solve some DNS ping problems I had.

Re: NZ Bear's system: For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone wants to go to the effort of being "rated". This reminds me of my high school days when there were fads, such as leaving the little buckle on the back of our Chinos open as opposed to buckling it, or the practice of "pinning" when you were sweet on a gal.

It's all window dressing, and who cares where you rank between primordial soup and God?

Not only is it a useless exercise, but some wizardly bloggers apparently figured out how to game it, so that their blogs rose up the rankings when they really weren't read that often.

I write for ME, and if anyone likes the way I write, I'll be delighted if they read my blog. If they don't, it doesn't change a bloody thing in MY life.

That's also why I don't do "memes" very much.

Rivrdog

 
At Wednesday, November 30, 2005 8:28:00 AM, Blogger Jennifer AKA keewee said...

Right on Rivrdog,I write for ME also. When I started my blog I thought I would get just a few hits a month from family and friends, now, I have an average of about 54 a day, this is gratifying, I do not care if I am a 'slithering reptile' or whatever,(well I was, now I have dropped to being a 'wiggly worm') OH! WELL!!!!!
Mr. C's ranking system is fun, I can be whatever *I* choose, and can go up or down the ladder as *I* choose.

 
At Wednesday, November 30, 2005 10:57:00 AM, Blogger Josh said...

I always just come up with something weird and change the TTLB's html code to fit what I want it to say. Right now I think they have me listed as a mollusc, but I have a different take...

 
At Friday, December 02, 2005 12:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd let you know that I am a HUGE FRICKEN ICBM lost in your cosmos..


Thanks for the chuckle! =D

-chaos

 
At Friday, December 02, 2005 7:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr C.,

I've kinda-sorta figured out trackbacks. Basically what they do is ping someone elses blog letting them know you linked them. I don't know how it works on blogger but for me this is what happens...

I see a post I'd like to link to and talk about. When I'm writing my post I link to it and in the trackback box I put the URL to the specific post I'm linking. That sends a message to the post I'm linking, giving them a snippet of what my post was about with a link back to my post about their post?

I've confused myself.. hope you understand. If you look at http://www.truthlaidbear.com/archives/2005/11/28/ecosystem_updates_in_progress.php#001918
You'll see under trackbacks where I pinged TTLB's post and it shows a snippet of my post about it. Sorry for the long windedness.

 
At Monday, September 01, 2008 7:19:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The TTLB system seems to be totally borked. That's why I created the GunBloggers site. Currently its only ranking system is to show the top 10 articles linked to by member bloggers over the last 48 hours.

I do reserve the right to implement a silly ranking system, just for the fun of it though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted