Tuesday, January 10, 2006

GUNBLOGGER RENDEZVOUS

The First Annual

GUNBLOGGER RENDEZVOUS

Either October 27th., 28th., and 29th., or November 3rd, 4th., and 5th.
in Reno, Nevada
At a Hotel to be determined

Note: Scroll down for latest updates

We are pleased to make the preliminary announcement for the First Annual Gunblogger Rendezvous, in Reno, Nevada.

This is just the preliminary announcement (read: "Trial Balloon") to try to get some sort of feedback as to how many of you would be interested in attending.

Here's the basic plan:

Friday Evening - Gather for social hour type informal "Meet and Greet".

Saturday - Various activities during the day, including possible range time! Sit-down dinner 5:30pm.

Sunday - Morning is free so far, nothing scheduled. Shopping, gambling, sight-seeing are all possibilities.

Most of the details are yet to be determined, but the basic concept is to:

1. Provide a low-key and informal setting to meet and visit with other gun-bloggers and mil-bloggers from across the continent and around the world.

2. Provide an informal setting for gun-bloggers and mil-bloggers to meet and visit with firearms and firearm accessory manufacturers, shooting sports clubs and associations, and other related groups. The key word here is informal. This is not intended to be a trade-show setting, but a chance to meet and visit on an informal basis.

3. Possible fund-raising auction and/or door prizes for attendees.

4. Possible High Profile speaker at the dinner.

5. Probably other fun stuff I haven't thought of yet.....

Special conference room rates will be available for conference attendees at the Silver Legacy.

Who can attend: Gun-bloggers, Mil-bloggers, other interested bloggers, and the folks who regularly read the mil and gun blogger blogs, and their families.

To make this all come together, there are a couple of things I need you all to help with.

First of all, I need for all of you gun and mil-bloggers to put the word out and help publicize the Gunblogger Rendezvous here at the beginning so we can get some sort of an idea as to how many folks might be attending. Throw up a post and a link to this post, so we can get the word around about the rendezvous.

Secondly, if you are interested in attending, send me an email at

b l o g ( a t ) w h i d b e y ( d o t ) c o m

and let me know how many in your group might be attending. We aren't asking for a commitment that you are going to attend just yet, but we need to get some idea of just how large we need to be thinking. I suspect that the bigger the turnout, the better the deals we get on the rooms, too!

If you are located somewhere along the highway route between Portland, Oregon, and Reno, and you would be interested in riding a group chartered bus to and from the rendezvous, mention that also in your email.


UPDATES:

01/11/2006 - There has been some discussion of dropping the exhibitors part of the Rendezvous, which would leave all day Saturday up until dinner time open for other activities. One suggestion was to see if we could reserve an indoor gun range and get in some shooting, for those interested in getting in a little range time. There are a lot of things to do in Reno, and this would give everyone more time to explore a bit. This is why we are starting the planning stage of this event ten months in advance! What do you all think?

01/15/2006 - Based on the comments I am getting, we may just leave out the exhibitor's part completely, and send invitations to any of the businesses and clubs that might have exhibited, and invite them to attend with the rest of us.

As to doing this first rendezvous in Reno, rather than Las Vegas, or any other location, my feeling is that there are lots of good places for this to be held, but I am more familiar with Reno, and the people I have been dealing with in Reno have been very good at being helpful. Since I am not located there, I need to do it all by phone and email, and the folks on the other end make all the difference.

02/12/2006 - "Exhibitors" has been dropped. We will have more than enough to do as it is!

A number of people have been talking about getting in some range time, maybe renting a range for a while. It can be cool in Reno in November, so an indoor range could be a good choice. Do any of you in the Reno area know what's available there for ranges? Maybe even a range that rents full auto weapons? How cool would THAT be?

Thanks to those bloggers who have linked to this post, and any of you other bloggers that can link also, it will be greatly appreciated. To make this successful, we need to get the word out, and end up with a good turn-out!

1/26/06 - Everyone seems to agree that we don't need to do any exhibits, as Saturday will be full enough with other things to do. Any one who might have been an exhibitor will be invited to attend the Rendezvous with the rest of us if they are interested in doing so. We still need info on ranges that might be available for rent in the Reno area, and anything else that might be interesting to do while we are there.

2/15/2006 - There is a possibility that the date may get moved up by one week to October 27th, 28th., and 29th. We may also move to another hotel that has free wireless internet in all the rooms. I should have more information in a day or so. Stay tuned!

18 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 10, 2006 9:59:00 AM, Blogger Rivrdog said...

I can probably haul my and the Mrs.' asses to Reno. When we discussed this the other day, I had no idea that it included vendors. Is there a previous arms show set up there for that date? Realistically, you would have to be a big fish to entice any but locals unless you had guaranteed bookings in the thousands. I used to be involved with setting up boat shows, so I can speak to this issue.

I'm a bus guy, also. November, the snow will not be so much of a threat, and the last time I flew Alaska Air Lines to Reno they scared the hell out of me with their disregard of normal procedures.

 
At Tuesday, January 10, 2006 10:09:00 AM, Blogger Rivrdog said...

Can I call this a Curmudgeon Conclave in my supporting post?

 
At Tuesday, January 10, 2006 5:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, no range time?

-SayUncle

 
At Tuesday, January 10, 2006 6:19:00 PM, Blogger Mr. Completely said...

Range time would be good! Getting my arsenal through the airport might be a problem, however.

I wonder what's available in Reno for nearby indoor shooting? Does anybody have any info on this?

......Mr. C.

 
At Wednesday, January 11, 2006 6:29:00 AM, Blogger Rivrdog said...

If we can book a hotel, we can book a range! Let's check on Reno ranges and see if we can pay to shoot en masse after hours.

 
At Wednesday, January 11, 2006 10:05:00 AM, Blogger Captain Holly said...

Love to be there, but if things work out the way I plan I'll be hunting whitetails in Idaho at that time.

 
At Thursday, January 12, 2006 8:51:00 AM, Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Man, I wish I could go... :(

 
At Friday, January 13, 2006 11:32:00 AM, Blogger Countertop said...

Why does it need to be an indoor range? WOuldn't an outdoor range work just as well - or simply trooping off into the Desert?

Also, why Reno and not Vegas where its guaranteed to be warmer and the rooms (and food) cheaper?

Its also probably easier to get to Vegas than Reno for a lot of people too.

Otherwise, looks like a great idea.

 
At Tuesday, January 31, 2006 11:41:00 AM, Blogger Kim du Toit said...

I'll be there. Most likely alone (no idea if The Mrs. will be able to get off for that amount of time).

I'll be driving, so I can bring a couple of guns for a Saturday shooting thing.

 
At Friday, February 03, 2006 7:19:00 AM, Blogger ZaijiaN said...

Is gunsite close enough to attend? It'd be great to do a bunch of "tactical" training courses or some-such with all the gunbloggers.

Plus, it'd give me a great excuse to pick up some weapons specifically to cause drooling and envy.

 
At Sunday, February 05, 2006 7:21:00 AM, Blogger Retired Geezer said...

I think Gunsite is in Arizona.
Fernley is about 35 miles east of Reno. They have a nice shooting facility there, with many berms. I've shot Cowboy Action Shooting matches there before.
There's probably closer places to shoot out in the desert, someone would have to check with the local sheriff.

 
At Sunday, February 05, 2006 9:58:00 AM, Blogger Retired Geezer said...

Here's a link to CAS in Nevada:

http://nevadacas.com

There's some contact info for the Reno clubs, Roop County Regulators and the Fernley group.
Should be able to get some good info from those guys.

My son lives in Reno, I'll be there if circumstances allow.

 
At Monday, February 13, 2006 10:16:00 PM, Blogger Nate said...

This sounds like a blog meet that I can try to make! Though Buddy Kenny is not specifically a gunblogger, ( me neither for that matter), I might try to convince him to come along too.

Reno's not too far from Ogden UT.

 
At Wednesday, February 15, 2006 11:30:00 AM, Blogger ChargeOfQuarters said...

I live in Sacramento; I can probably come, and bring a few weapons with me...

I only sporadically blog; I would come as an "interested third party", and if Kim and all the other fine bloggers are within 150 miles of my home and I did not try to meet them, I would regret it forever!

 
At Sunday, March 05, 2006 7:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm planning to attend as well. -- Kim, do you want to share the ride & split the gas?

We can hold 'toys' in my vehicle!

 
At Sunday, March 05, 2006 7:48:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(I meant to say) "more toys" -

 
At Sunday, April 09, 2006 7:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I logged on and Started a new Discussion Forum at Ted Nugent's site. Under 'Activism'.

Link Ted's Forum

My Message:
Ted,
I hope you will consider (re-consider) attending the 1st Annual Gunblogger Rendezvous in Reno, NV (last weekend in October, 2006). Details are at: Mr Completely

While we all would prefer to have you appear as a guest speaker, our no, none, not for profit (or even revenue) status will not permit us to make the customary fee arrangement with you.

Rather, I extend to you an invitation to attend as a participant. If you say a few words at the meeting, so much the better. If not, at least you can meet some of the nation's most prolific supporters of the cause!

(email me & I'll arrange the airfare + ammo).

Thanks - from a fan,

USCitizen,
Traction Control blog Traction Control

 
At Sunday, April 09, 2006 7:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

? I don't know why my Mr. C link was broken - it works fine on the Nuge's post.
Mr. C can you patch it from the moderator screen?
Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted