Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Cute Bunny!

Did you bring me an apple, a plum, or a carrot?

A couple of years ago some of the neighbor kid's 4-H projects seem to have escaped and started inter-breeding with our native cottontail rabbits. We now have wild bunnies in several shades of blonde, along with a solid black one every so often.

The new bunnies are also quite a bit larger than the original cottontails. Several of them have become quite tame and will eat out of your hand. We've named a few of them, and they will sometimes come when you call them!

They are kinda fun to have around, that is, as long as they stay out of KeeWee's garden!

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 09, 2006 4:13:00 PM, Blogger Rivrdog said...

You want a good old-country recipe for Hasenpfefer (I don't spell German well)?

The Brits had a similar recipe called Jugged Hare. KeeWee might know it.

Practice your snaring on the bunnies, it's a good S.H.T.F. skill.

 
At Tuesday, May 09, 2006 9:24:00 PM, Blogger Mr. Completely said...

I think I'll wait until we run out of venison and fish before I start on the rabbits. Most of these local ones have touleremia (sp?) and eating them isn't such a good idea.

 
At Sunday, May 14, 2006 5:18:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Used to have a pet stoat that ate half it's own weight in bunny meat a day, so I used to shoot them by the hundred.

I was ill for several months last year, and my better half brought a tiny baby bunny home,

she'd (bunny) had fallen about 60 feet over a cliff onto concrete steps and had a badly broken back leg, but was otherwise a little survivor.

I spent what'd buy me 10 domesticated rabbits on getting the mangled bits amputated and stitched up,

she recovered fast, we got her weaned (bunnies are lactose intolerant, any sort of milk (other than bunny milk)gives them the shits) and looking after her was the best medicine I could find.

she's really placid and I wouldn't swap her for anything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted