Friday, May 05, 2006

BBAGA Purchase

Modified High Standard Model 103 Sport King


Sharpshooter 5 1/2" Bull Barrel



The High Standard 103 and 104's are basically the same gun, and are the last of the "Slant Grip" High Standards. The next series of High Standards, called The "Military Grip" models, have a much more vertical grip angle, based on the grip angle of the 1911's.

Although I haven't seen this particular gun yet, I should have it in a few days since all the paperwork is completed and it has already been shipped to my local gun shop. The folks at Porter's Pawn And Bargain Center where I found this gun, particularly Brian, were great to work with, and if you are anywhere near Mountain Home, Arkansas, you might want to stop by for a bit of browsing through their gun inventory.

This particular High Standard has had a number of changes, most of which are improvements in my opinion, and make it far more suited to being a "race gun" for use on bowling pins and steel plates. The original plastic grips have been replaced with checkered walnut thumb-rest grips from a Model 104. The original tapered barrel has been replaced with a target bull barrel from a High Standard Sharpshooter. The holes drilled in the barrel for the sight mount rail reduce the value of the barrel as a collector's item, but allow the installation of a red dot sight. The original magazines are long gone, and someone has modified a pair of magazines from a military grip model to get them to fit, which explains why they hang out the bottom of the grip. I think I've got a couple of the correct magazines somewhere in the "High Standard Misc." storage area.

Why did I buy a modified 103 when I already have a very competitive military grip High Standard that's been working well for me? Simple. This one is going to be KeeWee's new race gun to replace her Beretta Neos.

She's been steadily improving over the past year, and she now shoots well enough that the extra accuracy of the High Standard is becoming important. With the High Standard the trigger is supurb, and at ten yards from a rest and with decent ammunition you can put round after round through the same hole. The Beretta is pretty good, but it's not as good as the High Standard. Once I get some rounds through it, I'll post the targets to show you what I mean.

The grip size of the Sport King is smaller than the military grip models, and similar to the Neos, so changing over should be easy. the barrels also are push-button interchangable with the military grip models, so we have lots of options on hand for various applications.

Sure wish it would get here, I can't wait to try it out!

3 Comments:

At Friday, May 05, 2006 8:35:00 PM, Blogger Jennifer AKA keewee said...

I can't wait to try it out either.

 
At Saturday, May 06, 2006 5:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice piece. I've got a Supermaic that I swapped a guy for after it went through a small house fire. Looks pretty bad with half-melted grips, but the seven-inch barrel still puts 'em where I point it.

 
At Monday, May 15, 2006 8:52:00 AM, Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Nice.
You're a lucky woman, Keewee!! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted