Sunday, November 02, 2014

Shoot - NOW!

I should start out by stating that I am not an expert at all when it comes to self defensive handgun use, but I have learned a few lessons from handgun shooting, and particularly competition speed shooting that should be considered.

Common sense will tell you that getting a center mass hit on the bad guy before he gets a shot off will greatly improve your chance of survival. Trying for the perfect shot that takes out his third shirt button might be good marksmanship, but if you try for the perfect shot you may never get the shot off at all.



In this short video I demonstrate taking the first shot as the gun is moving up, rather than allowing the sight to settle on the target, getting a good sight picture, and squeezing off the shot. Yes, this is a race gun, a red dot sight, and a race holster. The technique, regardless, is basically the same. Saving a half or even a quarter of a second can make the difference as to who gets to assume room temperature at the end of the day.

If you want to try this technique, (assuming you have already developed basic handgun skills) use a fairly large target at close range. Start with the handgun aimed a foot or so below the target. Smoothly raise the gun, and break the shot just before the sights reach the middle of the target. The key here is smooth, not quick, and not jerky! Don't jerk the trigger, keep it smooth. You might be surprised just how accurate you can become. Dry fire practice? Absolutely!

Be safe, have fun!


3 Comments:

At Sunday, November 02, 2014 9:20:00 PM, Blogger Jerry The Geek said...

Point well made.

Small criticism, though ... shooter hesitated after making a hit on the first target.

He not only didn't accept the good 'call your shot' personal judgement and move on to the next target, but he didn't believe/accept the PING which proved he hit the target.

You best made point is PRACTICE .. and then learn the confidence which allows you to move on to the next steel target.

Being a curmudgeon, I can say these things even though I'm so far out of practice that I, too, would be surprised when I hit my first shot.

Geek

 
At Sunday, November 02, 2014 11:56:00 PM, Blogger Mr. Completely said...

Hi Geek,

Not a criticism at all, an absolutely accurate analysis. I had missed the first plate on the first two runs a couple of inches left, and did a quick mental review of what I was doing wrong just before this third run. I made a slight adjustment, and the first shot was A zone centered! I was kind of amazed, and stopped for a bit to admire the shot!! (Of course, you've never done that, eh?) The rest of the run except for the 3 to 4 split, was nothing special. I didn't go into the hesitation explanation i the post, as I wanted to stick to the main points, but I also knew that an experienced shooter like yourself would see it and point it out! In defense, it was several years ago, and it was only my second match coming from a holster.

Mr. C.

 
At Monday, November 03, 2014 11:33:00 AM, Blogger Merle said...

Starting from low ready is a lot better than high ready. The indoor range I frequent had to armor the ceiling because of all the premature shots. The ceiling is well perforated, but no hits on the floor!

Merle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted