Friday, December 08, 2006

An Email From Dan McKown

NOTE: Dan was originally given the wrong day for Moses's Ceremony, The correct day is Wednesday, not Tuesday.


I got this email from Dan McKown this morning. I figured you'd enjoy the good news too!

Alright gang,
How you all doin?

Busy week coming up on my end. I know this looks long, but please read it in its entirety.

First:

Tuesday morning WEDNESDAY MORNING (and I mean morning!) 8:00am, Moses Martinez-- The man who who stalled my death so that surgeons could save my life-- Will be receiving the highest Peace-Time award possible for that act of heroism: The Soldiers Medal. Generals as well as possibly the new Secretary of Defense will be in attendance. Come and help me thank the man who saved my life Tuesday:

Guests,

1.) Exit 120 to Ft Lewis (Do not go to North Ft Lewis)
2.) Stop at the visitors center on your right just short of the ID check. The center is under some trees just beyond the parking lot. Captain Antosh and myself will be thereat 0750 (7:50am), and we should have everyone in their cars ready to go no later than 8:00am.
3.) Captain Antosh will meet you inside to ensure no one gets hung up processing visitors passes. Every car needs to have a driver with valid ID, registration, and insurance. Once onto post, you will follow him to the ceremony.
4.) If you lose him, continue on 41st Division (the road the gate puts you on) for about 2.5 mi. You will go through 3 stop lights, and you will see the air field on your left through a chain-link.
5.) As the road begins curving to the left, you will see some old, un-used railroad tracks to your right. Take a right onto Railroad Ave right about where these tracks intersect the 41st Division. It is a sharp hairpin turn.
6.) Continue on Railroad Ave for about 2 miles, and you come to a 4 way intersection. Turn left. You will still be on Railroad Ave. 7.) Pass a large building on your left called the MSTF (I have no idea what that stands for) and continue to thenext large building on the left. This is the Brigade Command Training Center. For those of you who need it, there is handicap (like me) up front. All others park in the gravel across the street.
8.) Enter the main entrance and you hit the lobby. There will be soldiers/civilians to welcome you in.

For more information:
CPT Josef Antosh
S-5, Civil Affaris Officer
(830)237-6611

Then, if that isn't enough; I too will actually be receiving an award. Many of you either heard or saw that I had received a commendation from our local chapter of the American Legion. Well they put me in for nationals and I hardly gave it a second thought. First, the award usually goes to soldiers and with two wars (or one war on terror) and a hurricane, there were plenty of opportunities for heroism, second; there are an enormous amount of American Legion halls across this country-- I wouldn't stand a chance!

Except for the fact that... I won.

On Friday, Dec. 15th 7:00ish (double check with me) I will be the American Legion 2006 HERO of the year! Wow. God just seems to insist on sharing his glory with me. Wow. Ceremony will be Friday at American Legion Post #138, 7515 Cirque Drive (56th turns into Cirque). Look for a 7-11, a drug store and a whole lotta flags!

Also, Sunday, Dec 17th in a private show for Home Depot employees Shawn, Lee and myself will be performing under the Comedy Kaleidoscope banner. Your prayers and support will be appreciated.

So, that's it. Aside from my kitchen fire there is little to report. Pray I find a date for my award ceremony, keep a good thought in general and please keep praying--every week there is improvement in my left leg (bloody little improvement, but improvement all the same) and I hope to see you at one or all these events.

Sincerest love in Christ,
Dan

6 Comments:

At Saturday, December 09, 2006 12:51:00 AM, Blogger Manfred said...

That's great !

 
At Saturday, December 09, 2006 4:46:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome... A well deserved winner!

 
At Saturday, December 09, 2006 6:56:00 PM, Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Super!
He has my prayers, as always, too.

 
At Sunday, December 10, 2006 3:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan, you've got my prayers, too - it's wonderful news that your left leg continues to improve and that you have received this American Legion award, which you justly deserve. Mr. Completely, thank you for organizing the Gunblogger Rendezvous and giving us all a chance to meet this modern-day American hero.

 
At Sunday, December 10, 2006 6:44:00 PM, Blogger Goldwater's Ghost said...

You know, I'm not sure how many stars the guy who signs off on the Soldiers Medal has to have, but dang...that's some seriously slow approval. The mall shooting happened over a year ago.

Oh, and FWIW, the MSTF is the Mission Support Training Facility.

 
At Monday, December 11, 2006 9:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's nice to see someone rewarded for going "above & beyond" the call of duty!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted