Saturday, February 11, 2006

Hammer or Hammerless Snubbies?

Smith & Wesson Model 637 with a hammer


Smith & Wesson Model 638 "Hammerless"



If you are considering a snub nose revolver, one of the questions that will come up is do you want to go for the one with the exposed hammer, or a "hammerless" model.

Actually, the "hammerless" model still has a hammer, but it's concealed.

Each design has its advantages, and Kim at The Other Side of Kim has a lot of good information to consider on this subject.

3 Comments:

At Sunday, February 12, 2006 3:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always favored the "old fashoned" exposed hammer, probably because I like the ability to quickly & easily cock the the hammer. Also, I find the traditional look more appealing. As far as I can see, exposed hammers are only a problem inside a pocket, etc. If they are in a pocket or IWB holster they don't snag, plus are better protected from debris.

Merle

 
At Monday, February 13, 2006 5:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been carrying a 642 for a few years now. I can drop in onto an inner suit jacket pocket, if needs be. I'm not always in a situation where I can were a holster, or even tuck the .38 away in a hip pocket. No problems so far - I just never put ANYTHING in the same pocket, and check the barrel and cylinder often for debris.

 
At Monday, February 13, 2006 5:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...can drop it into an inner suit jacket pocket..." Always preview, he said...
OldeForce

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted