Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Rimfire Roundup #5

It's time again for Rimfire Roundup! Presented here for your reading and viewing pleasure is an assortment of rimfire rifles and pistols. Well, actually one rifle, and the rest are handguns. In fact, a couple of them are even pretty marginal as handguns, but whatever!

When I was young and was looking to move up from my Daisy pump BB gun, I did a lot of looking around and asked a lot of questions in order to decide which .22 caliber rifle was for me. I quickly ruled out bolt action .22's, as they were, well, bolt actions, and weren't anywhere as cool as pumps and lever actions.

After a lot of going back and forth, I finally narrowed it down to either a Marlin 39A lever action or a Winchester 62A pump. I really couldn't decide one over the other.

Fate, as it often does, intervened, and when I was in the local hardware store, there sitting on the gun rack was a nearly new Winchester 62A with a price tag of $35.00. It was that far back that $35.00 wasn't a bargain, but was about an average market value for one! How times change!

Fug at Fugger Nutter, however, has a Marlin 39A, and loves it. Here's his opinion of the 39A:

"In my humble opinion the Marlin Golden 39A is one of, if not the best .22 that has ever been made. It has a heft, feel and a balance to it that no other .22 has."

For his review and a little history on the Marlin 39A, click here.


Marlin 39A Lever Action .22 Caliber Rifle



Xavier of Xavier Thoughts took his daughter to Cussin' Bob's to do a little shooting. She began with her rifle, but eventually moved to his Colt Woodsman.

Xavier has the whole story here!


Xavier's daughter and a Colt Woodsman at Cussin' Bob's place.



Speaking of ladies with guns, Denise at The Ten Ring has a post up about the Baikal IZH-35M .22 caliber target pistol. It's quite an unusual design, as her article reveals!


Baikal IZH-35M .22 caliber target pistol.



Alan from the Blogonomicon headed out to the gun show to pick up a Ruger 22/45, but he opted not to buy the Ruger, because I found a gun that just felt better in my hand, a Walther P22.

When he got home with his new toy, he did a little plinking with it, then wrote a mini-range report and review.


Alan's new Walther P22 .22 caliber pistol.



Tim from the Pubcrawler is the proud (?) owner of a unique model 52 .22lr semi-automatic pistol made by MAPF (Manufacture d' Armes des Pyrénées - Hendaye) from France. He didn't buy it, it was a gift, and even at that price it was no bargain, it seems! Here's the rest of the story!


MAPF Model 52 Pistol



And then there's the Jennings J-22. I guess it embodies all the things that define a saturday night special! It's small, and light, and unreliable. These features, of course, are offset by a total lack of accuracy! Here's a review and range report (!) of this interesting little pistol.


Jennings J-22 pistol



Well, that's the Rimfire roundup for this week. I ran out of time and wasn't able to get everything into the Roundup that I had planned, but next week I should have a little more time to get everything in, plus some stuff that I didn't get in this week should make it in OK.

If you'd like one of your posts in next week's Rimfire Roundup, please submit it by next Tuesday night.

As much as I would like to browse all of the gun blogs looking for rimfire posts, I just don't have the time, so I have to rely on you to send in your submissions. I don't want to miss a good post and not get it into the Roundup.

Thanks!

5 Comments:

At Thursday, March 09, 2006 9:58:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can never have enough .22s. First one of mine was a Mossberg 144 target rifle - Christmas 1953, and I wasn't quite 11. My uncle "the cop" had to convince my mom it was okay.It's still a tackdriver. Then there are 3 Henry's, all lever guns - the standard model, a Golden Boy, and a Golden Boy .22 mag. Also a Varner Favorite (see Savage of same name). I just missed a Winchester '85 in .22 last November; it's on my list, but not at $1200-2400! Pistols include a Browning Buckmark, a Ruger Bearcat, and a brand new Ruger 22/45. Bought the last one Tuesday for my wife's birthday. Had a S&W K-22, but that went to a friend's collection years ago. Just can't ever have enough .22s.

 
At Thursday, March 09, 2006 10:06:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the round-up, Mr. Completely.

I acquired a 1925-vintage Marlin Model 39 from a friend of mine. It had been his fathers, and he had no interest in it. It sat in his (once flooded) basement for over 30 years before he mentioned it to me. He hauled it up, and I bought it from him, crusted with rust from reciever to front sight.

Amazingly enough, with just a little oil and elbow grease, most of the rust came off, leaving a remnant of the original color case hardening. I broke one screw while stripping it down for cleaning (it broke when I ran my thumbnail through the slot!), but my local gunsmith found a perfect replacement. The burled walnut stock has a few dings, but has grain that has to be seen to be belived.

The only problem is that you can only shoot "standard" velocity rounds through it, since it runs the risk of cracking the bolt. My wife loved handling it so much (she learned to shoot from her father on a Browning .22 lever rifle) that I had to go out and buy a new Marlin 39A Golden.

What fun to shoot those lever .22's.

 
At Thursday, March 09, 2006 4:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dropped by On Target (ontargettn.com) to do some pistol shooting last Saturday and counted 14! Hi Standard pistols in the case. They were all from a collector. From target to plinkers, to U.S. marked.

I know from reading your blog that this was a find but other tha that I wouldn't know what was a bargin or what!

They also had about 8 or 10 Colt Woodsmans

Tokarev

 
At Friday, March 10, 2006 4:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do I submit a post to the roundup? I didn't see an email link on your page.

 
At Friday, March 10, 2006 8:49:00 AM, Blogger Mr. Completely said...

To send in submissions for the Roundup,email Mr. Completely:

b l o g (at) w h i d b e y (dot) c o m

Send the title of the post, a one or two line description, and the link.

Get 'em in by Tuesday night!

Thanks......

.......Mr. C.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted