Saturday, March 04, 2006

Failure to Fire Cause Found

High Standard "Two Piece" firing pin.


If you read the range report from last weekend's CWSA pin shoot, you noticed I was having a lot of "Failure To Fire" problems with one of my High Standards. I was able to get through the match by switching to different ammo, which apparently wasn't quite so picky.

Today I got the chance to pull the gun apart and look for the problem. As you can see, the firing pin had broken into two pieces. The smaller diameter section was held in place by the firing pin spring, and the larger section was held in place by a small roll pin that went through the cutout on the side that you see in the picture. For being totally broken it was still working amazingly well!

I happened to have a new firing pin on hand, and after a couple of hours of careful fitting, and a good polishing, the gun was back in service.

I want to be sure everything is working properly for next weekend's pin shoot in Portland.

I'll get a post up in the next day or so with all of the details on the shoot.........

1 Comments:

At Sunday, January 04, 2009 5:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I have the same problem even after I detail stripped and cleaned and tried 5 different types of ammo. I found this post searching for "failure to fire". I'm gonna order a punch set and let you know how it goes when I get my firing pin out. Thanks Mr. Completely!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted