Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Minh-Duc's America

I just came across a post by Minh-Duc on his blog at

http://state-of-flux.blogspot.com

I have read it several times, and his post puts a lot into perspective, at least for me....

Here it is, in its entirety:

I (Heart) America

“Adopted Homeland” is what some immigrants would call America. In my case, America adopted me. I was among the tired, the poor, the huddled masses yearning to breathe free and America took me in as one of her own son. There are those who would take every opportunity to smear America (here is an example in the comment section), they know not my story. Let me recount my story. I was born in a wretched land half way around the world, a land where I was a little more than a slave and far less a man. I could never went to college because of my father status (he was not a card carrying Communist). In fact, my chance of finishing High School was slim due to political discrimination.

I ran off, barely escaped with my life and arrived here on this land, and since then have come to love America. She was kind, sweet, and exceptional. In America, dream can become reality as long as one is willing to work for it. A place where a first generation immigrant is made to feel he is home, that he is part of the greater society. That his naturalization is not merely a piece of document, but a welcome embrace into a loving family, an equal to all. America gave me back my humanity, my dignity, and an ability to believe in the goodness of mankind.

Today is her birthday. O’ America, I love thee!

Welcome to America, Minh-Duc!

1 Comments:

At Thursday, July 07, 2005 9:43:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES this is the story of a true AMERICAN,
heart and soul.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted