Friday, February 24, 2012

FFL Application Info


A commenter asked about which forms are required to apply for a Federal Firearms Dealer license. Rather than re-capping what is on the ATF's website, here's a quick summary and the link to the ATF page with the full information.

 I wouldn't say the paperwork was tough, because it wasn't, but it did take a while to fill it out. I also read and re-read the instructions to be sure I got it right the first time. I had picked up an envelope from the ATF guys at the SHOT Show with the forms and fingerprint cards and instructions all included, but you can fill out the forms on line and then print them out and send them in. The main form is a lot like the 4473 form you fill out when you buy a gun. The fingerprints have to be done by someone qualified, and the county Sheriff's office was able to do that for me at a reasonable charge.

I looked on the Internet, and I see there are some operations offering to assist you in applying for your FFL, and at least one of them was trying to scare you into using their help. I'm sure there was something about sending them money in there, too, but I could tell they were bogus when they started out by saying that if you are denied you lose your two hundred bucks. The ATF instructions are very clear that if you are denied, you get your money back. The application isn't that hard to fill out, so I don't think you need these guys to help!

Here's the basic list:
  • ATF F 5310.12 (Form 7) — Application for Federal Firearm License (FFL)
  • ATF F 5330.20 — Certification of Compliance
  • Two Completed FD–258 (Fingerprint Identification Card) for each Responsible Person (RP) obtained through a local law enforcement agency.
  • Two 2″ x 2″ Photographs for each Responsible Person (RP)
  • Application Fee
If you are interested in getting your Federal Firearms License, go to the ATF (am I dating myself by not calling them BATFE?) website and you will find out everything you want to know, and you can get what you need to fill out there too.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/how-to/become-an-ffl.html

Keep in mind that the FFL is only for businesses, and if you are planning to use the FFL to buy guns for your self, rather than running a (hopefully for profit) business, you will be denied. In fact, there is a question that asks "Do you plan to use the FFL to buy firearms only for yourself?" or something like that, and next to the YES box it says do not submit the application.

The ATF info says that I will be contacted by a field agent and interviewed, and actually I'm looking forward to that, as I'm sure he can be really helpful as to making sure I get all of the record keeping set up in an efficient manner right from the start.

I'll keep you all informed as it progresses.

2 Comments:

At Friday, February 24, 2012 10:26:00 AM, Blogger Reub said...

Thanks. That's some good info. I hope the process goes smoothly for you.

Reuben.

 
At Saturday, February 09, 2013 5:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So are you still waiting? If not how about posting on your experience?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted