Wednesday, February 22, 2012

On Becoming a FFL Dealer

When I was at the SHOT show there was a booth set up by the ATF. The agents were very helpful, and courteous, like most ATF folks I've ever dealt with. I was asking about the laws concerning making my own frame for a Steel Challenge race pistol, and he said if I wasn't going to sell it, and it was for my own use, I didn't need any special licenses or permits, although they recommend I put some sort of a serial number on it. If I was planning on making then to sell, though, there was indeed a license needed. I asked about getting the basic FFL license, so I could send and receive firearms for reviews, and also for gunsmithing, and he explained that the process was fairly simple, and he gave me a packet containing the forms, instructions, and special cards for fingerprints.

Once back home, I went over to the Sheriff's office and got the fingerprinting done, and made another stop to get some 2x2 passport photos taken. This afternoon I filled out the forms, reading and re-reading all the instructions so I would be sure to get it right the first time!

I figure the FFL license might just prove to be a handy piece of ID, too, particularly when traveling, as it means that the Feds have checked me over pretty well, before issuing the license.

I'll keep you posted as to how it all proceeds................

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:55:00 PM, Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Congratulation, big-time!

 
At Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:00:00 AM, Blogger Reub said...

Would you mind giving a specific list of the forms included in that packet? I've been contemplating the exact same process but haven't found a good, comprehensive, one stop list for all the forms that are required.

Thanks, and good luck!

Reuben.

 
At Monday, August 13, 2012 2:17:00 AM, Anonymous FFL Blog said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted