Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Out of the Frying Pan, Into The Fire ........

Photo credit: Max Michel

Well, once again I've gone and done it! I've always kinda wanted to watch the very fastest shooters in the world, guys Like J. J. Racaza, Doug Koenig, Rob Leatham, and Jerry Miculek shoot in a match. On August 16th., 17th., and 18th. those guys, and lots of other really fast guys gather in Piru, California for the World Steel Challenge Championships. The overall winner will arguably be the fastest gun in the world. So, says I, why not head down there and see it in person? Yup, that'd be fun!

And, well......, they DO have a rimfire optic sight class, and, errr..., I Did shoot a few small steel challenge type matches this last year, and I DO have a pretty fair rimfire optic gun..........

So, I mailed in my entry form yesterday!

What better way to watch the match than from the competitor's area? It should be a whole lot of fun, and I'll get to rub elbows with the greats of handgun shooting. Do I stand a chance? Nope, no way, nada, not a prayer! Those guys shoot a stage in about half the time it takes me to plink my way through, but you know what? Who cares! For me it's like getting to go to Indy or Daytona and getting to run a few laps in the race!

If you'd like to know more about Steel Challenge, check out their website. For a live look, here's a video from Michael Bane's Shooting Gallery coverage of a previous world championship.

This is gonna be fun!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:05:00 AM, Blogger Caleb said...

AWESOME.

Good luck, of course. If you actually get to meet Jerry Miculek, make sure you shake his hand; his grip is absolutely astonishing.

 
At Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:15:00 AM, Blogger Mr. Completely said...

Jerry is one of the folks I am really looking forward to meeting. He won the rimfire optical class last year, so maybe I'll get lucky enough to get squadded with him? On the entry form you can request other shooters you'd like to be shooting with, and I requested "Any of the really fast shooters" so I can watch them in action. We'll see.....

...... Mr. C.

 
At Wednesday, June 20, 2007 9:42:00 PM, Blogger Jerry The Geek said...

Be sure to take your camera, preferably one which records digital movies. Also on of those solid-state audio recorders. Turn one or the other on often, there's a world of interesting people there and you'll enjoy reviewing all the interviews you gather.

Lots of blogging material, too.

In my competitive career, I've either squadded with or officiated with the very best IPSC competitors in the world. As long as you don't bug them when they're getting ready to shoot a stage, they're almost universally ready to chat with you.

Some of the friendliest people in the world shoot competitively.

But then, you already know that.

 
At Friday, June 22, 2007 9:13:00 AM, Blogger Manfred said...

It must be fantastic !

Very good idea Mr C...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted