Tuesday, June 20, 2006

If You Can't Beat 'em, Outlaw 'em!

I just got this email from the Oak Harbor Sportsman's Association regarding their falling plate matches.

I had won their last two rimfire optical sight matches, although the scores were fairly close. I use a two handed silhouette style grip which although it is a little slower, is a little more accurate, at least for me.

Here's the email:
After a lot of consideration I have come to the conclusion that I need to make a rule change for our falling plate matches. I strive to conduct matches that are as equatable, fair and as level a playing field for everyone participating as I can. I also don't want the matches to turn into some type of equipment race. Therefor I have made the decision to add a rule that requires shooters using 2 hands to have both hands touching, in a conventional pistol grip. I don't like adding rules but if I don't do it I'm convinced that at the next match we will have some showing up with Ruger 10/22s with pistol grip butt stocks or folding stocks and that would change the match to something we never intended it to be, and would create some hard feelings among some of the shooters.

(last paragraph has been omitted, as it was about a different subject)

Jim

Here's my reply:

Jim,

Since I am the only shooter in rimfire with a 2 hand silhouette style grip, your rule is obviously written with me in mind. It's true that some people feel that a 12" long barrel and a 2 hand grip is the reason I have the success I am sometimes lucky enough to enjoy.

The real truth is that I shoot between 20,000 and 30,000 rounds a year in practice. The grip and stance is NRA legal and I keep both elbows out from my body to comply with the NRA guidelines. The grip is basically taken from NRA silhouette shooting.


As to your fears that a bunch of people will copy my method, I can only add that I have been shooting this way for years both at Coupeville and at Custer, and no one has copied it yet.

I shoot for the fun and the fellowship, and if you take it so seriously that as soon as someone wins a couple of times you change the rules to outlaw that shooter, then I am afraid you have lost sight of why these matches are held in the first place.

I am disappointed, but I will respect your new rule and no longer attend your matches, and you will no longer have to compete against me in rimfire optical.

Should you win the next match, however, you will also know that you had to use the rule book to win, rather than your shooting ability.

Personally, I'd rather lose on the range than win using rule changes......

If any of you want to fisk his email, feel free to do so in the comments.


UPDATE: Jerry the Geek at Cogito Ergo Geek has a post up on this issue HERE.

10 Comments:

At Tuesday, June 20, 2006 10:57:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious!

 
At Tuesday, June 20, 2006 12:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh! Does he shoot IDPA too?

 
At Tuesday, June 20, 2006 8:06:00 PM, Blogger Rivrdog said...

My Speed Pins tables are still trying to heal themselves out behind my storage shed, Kris.

 
At Tuesday, June 20, 2006 8:14:00 PM, Blogger Rivrdog said...

Maybe this will play out in a few days on the international stage. I see where POTUS Bush just ordered the Army to spin up the Antimissile system. Maybe we will get to see a real-life intercept.

It's a win-win for us, so I suspect that the Norks will stand down now, except maybe they can't. I read that once their missile was fueled, it had to be shot off within a month. Article didn't say anything about defuelling it.

So, the Norks are crying "NO FAIR", just like your range rules captain.

"No Fair" that you might use all that technology to shoot down our harmless space shot, which someone lied about and called an ICBM.

Well, the Army is hanging it all out if it tries. If they don't make the intercept, the Norks will flip-flop AGAIN, and say "We told ya, now ya better be afraid, very afraid", but the win would be ours, because then Bush could silence the Donk critics who don't want to finish testing on the system.

 
At Tuesday, June 20, 2006 8:29:00 PM, Blogger Mr. Completely said...

Hey Kris, we'd welcome you in the bowling pin revolver class at CWSA. If you're the same guy I met in Portland early this year, you shoot that thing really well. I'd suggest down-loading it a bit though, as you don't need anywhere near that amount of energy to shoot a bowling pin off a table. A heavy bullet going fairly slowly can be very effective....

......Mr. C.

 
At Tuesday, June 20, 2006 9:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee maybee the Oak Harbor Sportsman's???? Association should change their plate match to a Pig Whineing match with an appropriate slow roast of the winner. Jim shouldn't have any problem with winning that contest.

DAMIPHINO

 
At Tuesday, June 20, 2006 10:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must admit to being a dummy, but could you show a picture of your grip. I am afraid that I don't even know what it is.

 
At Wednesday, June 21, 2006 7:31:00 AM, Blogger Rivrdog said...

Dan_D, it is pictured on the top right hand corner of the blog with Mr. C doing his thing on pins.

I also just occurred to me that the OHSC runs suposedly-NRA sanctioned events.

If they're regulating out shooting stances that are legit according to the NRA, why are they still certified as sanctioned? Someone needs to drop a dime to the NRA.

If the rules-dictator there has a beef, why doesn't he open up an "Unlimited" class and give it equal footing?

For his information (here's the "fisk" you suggested), if folks started showing up with pistol-gripped Ruger 10-22's, they would be shortly followed by the BATFE, who would be carting said guns away as evidence and citing said gunowners into Federal court for having an unregistered AOW.

Is the rules-walla suggesting that an AR-based pistol wouldn't be welcome in his Centerfire match section?

How about if I used a Ned Buntline grip, with strong hand on the weapon and weak arm up and crooked with the long-barrel weapon resting on it?

Ned Buntline was arond longer than the NRA, if I recall, and his stance also used to be a legitimate police long-range shooting stance with the service revolver.

 
At Wednesday, June 21, 2006 9:31:00 AM, Blogger Zendo Deb said...

Could you post a better picture of this grip? I can't see what you are doing in the photo on the blog

 
At Wednesday, June 21, 2006 4:33:00 PM, Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

I'd like to see the grip in a better pic, too.

Great response to him, Mr. C.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted