Sunday, June 18, 2006

CWSA Hanging Plates - Dingin' The Dishes!

KeeWee and I are back from the CWSA hanging plate match, and we had a grand time of it! The wind was a bit blustery, but it wasn't too cold, and at least it didn't rain. Being Father's day may have affected the turnout, as the number of shooters was down a bit below average. When the weather looks marginal, or there's a holiday, the good shooters still all show up, however. It seems that it's only the middle shooters and newer shooters that stay home!

Steve, John, Evil Al, Rainey, LouG, KeeWee and I all showed up at 9am., along with some other shooters. Mark and Lisa from Shoreline came over to give it a try, although Lisa decided to watch one first before giving it a try. Mark however, jumped right in and was very respectable somewhere around 4th. in the Optical sight class with his Smith & Wesson 22A. Not only is Mark going to be one to watch, I know for a fact that Lisa shoots better than Mark does! They may make it back for next week's pin shoot to give a pin shoot a try.

I shot both the iron sight and the optical sight rimfire classes, and in iron sight I finished one plate behind Evil Al, who took all the marbles. I think he was just fooling around, though, 'cuz he can run away and hide from me when he tries!

Once again I was "snake-bit" in the optical sight class, although I still ended up OK. I've been trying all year to put together a perfect score of 72 out of 72, and something always seems to happen to spoil it. Today was no exception!

At 10 yards, I hit 18 out of 18. A good start, but there's a long way to go!

At 15 yards, again, 18 out of 18. 36 out of 36, half way home.

At 20 yards, the first shot string of six shots, six for six. Then disaster struck. The second string of six, BANG, DING, BANG, DING, ......... silence ....... Stove pipe! Yank the slide back, clear the fired casing, snap off a quick shot that misses, and the buzzer goes off. Time expired. DANG!

"Shooter - Load and make ready".

Gotta get my concentration back onto the next six plates. Deep breath, exhale.

"Shooter ready?"

Focus! Aim for 1 inch above the bottom edge of the plate to compensate for the distance.

"Ready"

The buzzer goes off and I come up on the first plate. I was a little impatient, and shot just a fraction too soon and just slightly under the plate. I moved across the remaining four plates, this time remembering where to aim, and got the four of them OK. Good shooters don't let the last shot mess up the next shot, but it's really hard to do!

18 more shots to go, this time from 25 yards. The rest of the shooters finished their turn at 20 yards, and we moved the shooting station out to 25 yards.

At 25 yards it went smoothly, 18 for 18, and I ended up with a 67 total. 67 plates hit, two flat out missed, and three shots not taken....

When the scores were tallied up, KeeWee, John, and Mark were in almost a dead heat for 3rd., 4th., and 5th., and I don't remember exactly who finished where. Al had missed a few along the way, and I ended up ahead of him by a plate or so. You'd think I'd know better than to beat Al the week before a pin shoot!

There was a lot of really close shooting, and everyone had a grand time! What a fun way to spend the day.....


4 Comments:

At Monday, June 19, 2006 8:11:00 AM, Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Nice shooting there, folks!!

I shot my first plate shoot Friday.
It was a hoot!

 
At Monday, June 19, 2006 8:43:00 AM, Blogger Mr. Completely said...

Plates are fun, aren't they! How'd you do? (...and where's the post with all the 8 by 10 color photographs with circles and arrows on them?)

......Mr. C.

 
At Monday, June 19, 2006 5:24:00 PM, Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

45 out of 48 plates.
Took third place (my first time there).

Not too bad for a bullseye shooter, but shooting one handed normally makes shooting plates with two hands seem a lot easier.

I chalk it up to beginners luck.
We'll see in two weeks when I go back.

I know where to aim at all 4 distances now....

 
At Tuesday, June 20, 2006 12:11:00 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said...

Info please...I have two S&W 38 specials one shoots 6 and one shoots 5. I inheirited them from my Dad, and have only shot them three or four times. I went to a pin shoot at CWSA about 5 years ago, didnt do too bad, I think I hit three pins LOLOL

What I am looking for is a place that will teach me HOW to shoot, And not be infringing on the better shooters times. I have a friend who is a member of CWSA as was my Dad for MANY years, But He does not have the patience to teach me.

Any ideas where to go, and who to see?

dreamer(at)galaxynet(dot)com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted