Monday, October 10, 2005

C-More Rail Mount Red Dot Sight

C-More Rail Mount Red Dot Sight

Over the past few years I've been using the Simmons 42mm. red dot sights for all of my rimfire handgun competition, and for the price, they are a lot of sight for the money. Their life time warrantee is a great recommendation too!

However, I've been "using up" two or three of them a year, with all the shooting I do. Between competition and practice, I shoot roughly 15,000 rounds a season. Every couple of weeks I'd have to re-check to be sure they were still sighted in, sometimes they were, sometimes not.

On my primary race gun, a High Standard Supermatic Citation, I use an unconventional grip where I have two fingers over the top of the barrel. Even with the 42mm. Sight, the bottom third of the sight was filled with out of focus knuckles!

Finally, with my lousy eyesight, the dot was always out of focus and fuzzy, making the effective dot size larger than it actually is, so a 4 MOA dot is more like a 7 or 8 MOA fuzzy dot.

So what were my requirements for a replacement? First, it had to be really durable, reliable, and rugged as it could possibly be. Second, it had to mount fairly high, so I could see over my knuckles. Third, a smaller dot, with high brightness if needed, to compensate for the fuzziness and size problem.

After talking to several competitive shooters far wiser than I, I decided to try a C-More sight.

The elevation and windage adjustments are infinitely adjustable, and have a screw to lock each in position once you have it sighted in. The frame is machined out of a solid piece of aluminum, although they also have a slightly less expensive version with a composite frame, too. The basic sight also comes in a version that you can mount directly to the top of a Glock slide, and it's durable enough that even that shock won't shake it apart!

The sight mounts fairly high, with the center of the sight about 1.5" above the top of the scope rail, just about exactly the same as the Simmons 42mm. sight. Plenty of knuckle clearance, and shouldn't require too much to get used to it.

I ordered mine with a 2 MOA dot, and it certainly seems to be plenty bright! You can also change the diode/dot module to different sizes, if you want, including 2, 4, 6, 8, 12, and 16 MOA. I think the 2 MOA is going to be just about perfect.

I'm going to try to get to the range tomorrow and see how it does in the real world, so to speak. I will have a follow-up post in the next day or so.

I had mentioned to Jerry The Geek, a serious IPSC shooter and proprietor of Cogito Ergo Geek, that I was getting a C-More, and his email back to me contained a lot of good information that I thought was worth passing on, so here's what Jerry had to say, edited to remove non-sight related stuff:

"......you can't go wrong with the C-More. In its usual mount, it sits pretty high off the barrel and you need to adjust for very close shots. That is, if you set it on zero at 20 yards (normal for IPSC competition), you will be shooting HIGH at, say seven yards. Using my .38 Super racegun, the bullet is still rising at 50 yards, so at that distance (if you shoot at targets that far) you will be shooting high. This is no different from iron sights, except that they aren't typically as high from the barrel as the C-more mount MAY place your optical sight. I recommend that you sight it in at the distance you will most often be shooting it, check it out at various distances from half that distance out to about 50 yards, and be prepared to apply "Tennessee Elevation" when engaging targets very close or very far away.

Having said that, I think you've made a good decision.

You will note that it will take you a while to find the dot when you first bring the gun up to eye level. You'll have to wave it around until you can see the dot, and put it on the target. This is known as the "C-More Shuffle", and is entirely typical. With practice, you can overcome this; it's a matter of ergonomics and grip-angle. I recommend you practice with it excessively when you receive the scope-mounted gun, to avoid this in matches. One good way is to keep the pistol in your hand while you're watching television, and repetitively take sight-pictures at images on the screen. While it may freak out anybody who is in the room with you, it's an excellent way to build muscle-memory of the NEW angle at which you should hold your pistol when aligning the gun for the first shot.

........ don't worry too much about the 'eyes out of focus thing". With the dot, you just look at the targets.

When the fuzzy red thingie covers the fuzzy brown thingie, pull the trigger.

Repeat as necessary.

Move on.


Works for me. "

Sounds like good advice to me. Thanks, Jerry!!

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, October 11, 2005 8:50:00 PM, Blogger Jerry The Geek said...

You're entirely welcome, and I do hope you opted for aluminum frame. SWMBO has had multiple problems using OK sights, because of the composite body ... the mounting screws tend to work loose, and then the only choice is to replace the entire sight.

I'm not sure what you refer to as 'the frame', but I assume it's either the body or the mount. Either way, metal is ALWAYS better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted