Thursday, March 29, 2012

FFL License Update


A while back I posted about sending in my application for my Federal Firearms License (FFL). I Rounded up all the forms and filled them out, got my fingerprints recorded on the special form, got some passport photos, and sent it all in.

A few weeks later I got a call from the ATF, wanting to set up an appointment and an interview. A couple of days ago the ATF Rep. came to visit, and we spent about five hours thoroughly  going over all the laws and procedures for running my firearms business.

In the course of the conversation we were discussing manufacturing of firearms, and I have always wanted to make my own rimfire race gun frame, incorporating all the things I've learned over the years. Making one for myself is a fairly simple process, but if I decided to sell it and make a better one, it's a bit more complicated. However, it turns out that to apply for a FFL license that allows you all of the regular dealer things, and allows manufacturing too, is the same form. It took a little bit of paperwork, but we were able to withdraw my application for a type 01 FFL license and resubmit it as a type 07 license, and still use the original application.

I got a phone call today that the application is being sent for final approval with a recommendation to approve by the ATF Rep. It seems that the State Department has added in some additional fee or tax on firearms manufacturers of $2500, so I'm not likely to be manufacturing anything for a long time, but at least the paperwork is in place for the future.

The good news is that the ATF was great to deal with, everything was explained carefully and in detail, and although it was a long session, I think I picked up all the relevant info, and I now know how to find any info that I otherwise can't remember.

For next year's SHOT show I think I can sign up in every one of the attendee categories; Media, Dealer, wholesaler, retailer, manufacturer, and probably more. They don't have a category for "Ammo Waster" but I'd be a natural for that one too........

Labels:

1 Comments:

At Friday, March 30, 2012 7:46:00 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Congratulations! We sent in our application for an FFL about 40 days ago (but who is counting...). We have heard that the background was passed and it is waiting to be assigned to an investigator. Glad everything went well for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted