Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Broken Gun Report

As I mentioned in the last post, I had some major ejection problems at last Saturday's Fun Steel Match at KRRC. On Sunday I tore the gun fully apart and checked everything over for a cause of the problem. Although the gun was a bit dirty from having just shot twelve stages without maintenance, that shouldn't have caused the problem. The action spring was getting a bit worn, but it wasn't broken or damaged, as I had initially suspected. I changed it out for a nearly new one that I knew was reliable. I put it all back together and took it out to the range to see if I could figure out what was going on. I loaded up several magazines and started shooting. The first three magazines ran perfectly. The fourth magazine failed to eject. I cleared it, and it failed again. I cleared it again, and it failed again. I set that magazine aside and tried three more different magazines, and they all ran perfectly. I put the questionable magazine back in, and it went right back to not ejecting. It was extracting without problem, but wouldn't toss the empty overboard, so to speak. The ejector looked perfect, and it was ejecting without problem with seven other magazines, so it's got to be something about the magazine, but just what I'm not too sure, as the magazine had been working OK previously. The bad mag is clean (more or less), moves smoothly, and it hasn't been dropped and bent.  Very strange! I don't have time to figure it out for now, so I took it apart to make sure it doesn't get mixed in with the good magazines, and I'll play with it some other time. At least the good news is the race gun is working perfectly.

All I have left before leaving tomorrow morning for the airport is to clean and check over all of the magazines for KeeWee's and my race guns, and then fully clean and check the guns themselves. I'll fire each one for a magazine or so, just as final check before packing them for the trip.

By the time this post is posted, KeeWee and I should be on the shuttle bus for the hour and a half ride to SeaTac airport. They say they now have free WiFi at SeaTac, so I may give my netbook a try while we're waiting for the flight, if I have time.

Stay tuned!

"Fetch your pistol, KeeWee, the game is afoot!"

Labels:

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, May 12, 2010 11:43:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ready to pick you guys up from Schiphol. I saw your flight has been delayed; ETA 08:30. I will stay tuned in!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted