Saturday, February 23, 2008

Uberti 1873 SAA Grip Refinished

Before refinishing the grips


Uberti 1873 SAA with refinished grips.

One thing about the Uberti 1873 Millenium I just bought is that the finish on the grip was terrible. It looked like a cheap varnish dip job. It was rough, and it even had bubbles in the finish. The edges of the wood didn't quite match to the grip frame either, giving it kind of a sharp edge.

Fortunately that's easy to fix. I removed the grip frame and removed the wood from it. About twenty minutes with some paint stripper and most of the bad varnish was removed. (Be sure to wear gloves or you may end up removing some skin, too!)

After stripping the varnish, I gave it a good hand sanding with 320 grit sandpaper. I sanded the sharp edges a bit, while I was at it. Once it was nice and smooth I applied some Minwax brand wood stain. The color is called "Jacobean". I wiped it on and let it sit for a bit, then wiped it off. Not quite dark enough, so I gave it another coat and let it sit for about ten minutes. You want it to be a little bit darker when you are applying the stain, as it will lighten a bit as it ages. Wiping of the second coat, it looked a million times better than before. I wiped it down with a little Hoppe's to get it cleaned a bit, then oiled the wood heavily with gun oil. I wanted to let the wood soak up as much oil as it could.

After letting it sit for a while, I wiped it off and polished it with a paper towel, then reassembled the gun.

As I said, it looks and feels a million times better.......

Labels:

7 Comments:

At Saturday, February 23, 2008 4:10:00 PM, Blogger Sebastian said...

Looks great. Are those the wax bullets you use for quickdraw competition showing in the picture?

 
At Saturday, February 23, 2008 4:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Careful Mr. C, you're liable to get addicted to single actions. It looks much better after the grip job. I know I've got several semi's that are very nice guns but there is just something special about the single action army. They just look very functional and nicely done.

Damiphino

 
At Sunday, February 24, 2008 10:56:00 AM, Blogger Mr. Completely said...

Yep, those are the wax bullets used for Cowboy Fast Draw. Even though they are powered only by a primer, they will still go through 1/4" plywood at 15', so they are still to be respected......

..... Mr. C.

 
At Monday, February 25, 2008 9:31:00 AM, Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Nice work! Fortunately the grain underneath the old varnish was nice too.

 
At Thursday, February 28, 2008 1:40:00 PM, Blogger Cowboy Blob said...

Sweet! The Uberti 1873 is one of the few guns left on my "serious hankerin'" list, though I'll probably get it in .38 Spl instead of .45.

 
At Sunday, November 25, 2012 7:14:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please don't *ever* oil walnut with gun oil. It will destroy the wood over time. It contains petroleum, which will rot the wood. Apply boiled linseed oil or tung oil, which are wood finishes.

 
At Saturday, January 26, 2019 5:05:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I drop my gun and broke the cheap looking ivory grips and replaced them with the one peace wooden grips and love it but the only problem is I have a little over lap on one side of the grip what is the best way to make the over lap go away.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted