Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Uberti 1873 SAA Millenium 45 Colt

Uberti 1873 SAA Millenium 45 Colt

KeeWee and I hit Costco yesterday for some food, and since it was only a couple of blocks away, swung by the new Sportsman's Warehouse in Burlington. I needed some media for my case tumblers and I also needed a bunch more primers and .22 match ammo.

We grabbed a shopping cart, and I headed to the firearms stuff area. I grabbed some CCI Standard Velocity .22 ammo, put it in the cart, and headed over to the gun counter to see what the Uberti 1873 Single Action Army replicas were going for. I saw one of the new semi-matte finished ones on the wall, and I asked if I could have a look at it. The sales guy took it off the wall, pulled it to half cock, flipped the loading gate open and spun the cylinder verifying that it was unloaded. (That's how it's supposed to be done!). Leaving the loading gate open, he handed it to me to look over. The glass bead blasted brass grip frame had a nice non-slip non-glare finish, and it looked good. The heat treated hammer showed the varied blue coloration from the heat treating. The rest of the steel parts had been sand blasted and it looked like they had been satin finish powder coated. The wood, however, had a cheesy looking shiny varnish finish that detracted from the overall appearance of what was otherwise not a bad looking pistol.

Then I noticed the price tag. I did a quick double-take to see if the description on the tag matched the gun, and it did, so it wasn't a switched tag. I asked the salesman if I could put it on layaway and pick it up on Sunday at the "Friends and Family" special shopping session coming up this weekend so I could get an additional discount. He looked at his computer screen for a minute or so, and then told me that the price had gone up and that they were in the process of repricing a bunch of the guns as we spoke. If I waited until Sunday it would have to go for the $360 price that was going into effect as of today.

I grabbed my carry permit, driver's license, and VISA card from my wallet. I told him to write it up! He decided that since the new price was supposed to be in effect, but that it hadn't been repriced yet, he'd better check with the department manager to be sure. Mike, the department manager was summoned, and we got the green light. I could have it at the price on the tag.

We filled out all the forms and they called in the verification to make sure I hadn't shot anybody important recently. I hadn't.

While they were getting the verification I went looking for tumbler media. None in stock at all. Winchester Large Pistol primers. None. CCI Magnum Pistol primers? None. No large pistol primers at all! I grabbed just about all of the Federal Small Pistol primers they had. Surprising, as those are usually the hard ones to find. It looked like some small gun shop is stocking his store by cleaning out entire shelves full of primers.

As we were finishing up the paperwork KeeWee showed up with a good deal she found on some slippers that she had been wanting. We went up to the check out and paid for our new goodies. One of the clerks carried the Uberti, now wrapped up and in its original box, out the front door of the store and then handed it to me. Apparently the idea is that if they carry it for you until you are out of the store you won't be able to load it and start shooting while you are still IN the store. I'm not sure if I quite understand that, as all I have to do is walk back into the store and whatever they have accomplished has now been negated. Maybe it's a liability/legal hair they are splitting. I suspect that probably half of the people in the Sportsman's Warehouse are packing anyway, so I would predict a quick and well ventilated demise for you anyway!

Anyhow, after SW we headed down to Costco to stock up on food. After filling the shopping cart and checking out we loaded everything into the car. Then back into Costco for hotdogs for lunch. Great hotdogs! After lunch it was a 45 minute drive back to Oak Harbor for a quick trip through WallyWorld. I needed more batteries for the Red Dot sights and also for the hearing protectors. KeeWee made another big score with a full length down coat with a hood. It had the regular price tag of $44.50, but was marked down to $5.00!! She tried it on and it fit perfectly. WOOOO HOOOO!

After Walmart we swung by DQ for a couple of banana cream pie blizzards, then another 45 minute drive home.

It was nice to get home, as I'm still nowhere up to speed after being rather sick with my lung infection, and I was pretty well worn out.

It was a long day, but we had some fun and got some great deals..........

Labels:

6 Comments:

At Thursday, February 21, 2008 3:03:00 AM, Blogger Rivrdog said...

Gonna get serious about fast-draw, huh?

Has anyone combined your two disciplines of pin shooting and fast-draw?

"Draw-pins" "Draw-Steel"????

If you did "draw pins", you could shoot one pin at a time off the table with each draw, and score each one, instead of the table.

 
At Thursday, February 21, 2008 10:03:00 AM, Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Nice looking Uberti!! Easy enough to switch the grips. Way to go!

 
At Thursday, February 21, 2008 11:22:00 AM, Blogger Mr. Completely said...

George: Fast draw with pin suitable loads and bullets would be rather dangerous. For Cowboy Fast Draw we use wax bullets powered by shotgun primers and there are deflectors on the bottom of the holsters in case you set one off while not clear of the holster. Even with the primer powered wax bullets, it will punch a hole in 1/4" plywood at 15 feet. Centerfire steel challenge is from a holster, but the holsters are a far different creature compared to a cowboy leather holster.

..... Mr. C.

 
At Saturday, February 23, 2008 4:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tumbler media: Don't buy it at a firearms or sporting goods place. Got to PetSmart or PetCo. They sell crushed walnut hulls for putting in the bottom of birdcages. Use that with some Dillon or Midway polishing liquid, and save enough to buy a few hundred primers...

MC

 
At Saturday, February 23, 2008 6:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guns at Costco?

I think I paid 220 for my Uberti SAA. I'm glad I got it when I did.

 
At Saturday, February 23, 2008 7:55:00 PM, Blogger Billll said...

What the cajun said.
They also have corn cob, but it's ground a bit too coarse and sticks in primer pockets and .223 brass. I've learned to tumble first and decap second, but the .223 problem is solved only with the walnuts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted