Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Going To The SHOT Show!

Much earlier this year one of my sponsors said they were going to send some gun bloggers to the SHOT Show. I was told that I'd be one of the ones to go, for sure. Unfortunately, that sponsor wasn't able to afford to send any bloggers to the show after all. I just figured I wasn't going to get there at all, because of the cost.

However, after talking to some folks I know in California who are going, they made some suggestions, encouraged me to go anyway, and even helped to line up a room mate to share the hotel cost. I researched airfares, and it turns out that both Alaska Airlines and Allegiant fly direct out of Bellingham, WA. to Las Vegas. Allegiant offers some really low fares, but after you add in all of their bizarre extra fees and charges, it ends up with Alaska being basically the same price, and with Alaska you get to ride on relatively new Boeing 737's instead of DC-9's of unknown vintage, but old, for sure. There's a saying in Alaska "If it ain't Boeing, I AIN'T GOING!" and I feel that way too.

They have a media day at the SHOT show on the day before the show opens, but that's already filled to capacity, so I won't be able to go to that. I will get to see the show itself, though, and that will take several days. I think I read somewhere that the show floor itself is 600,000 square feet. My feet hurt just thinking about it!

Anyhow, next Monday is travel day to get there, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday will be spent seeing the show and covering it for the blog, and Friday will be travel home day.

It should be really interesting to finally make it to the SHOT Show.

Note: For those of you unfamiliar with the SHOT Show, it is the Shooting, Hunting, and outdoors industry trade show put on every year by the National Shooting Sports Foundation. For more info, check out shotshow.org

5 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:40:00 AM, Anonymous Thor said...

Outstanding!

Have a great time.

This is a trade show that I would really like to attend sometime. Probably not in the cards for a while though.

 
At Wednesday, January 11, 2012 11:44:00 AM, Anonymous Nora Holloway said...

This is my first year going to SHOT Show, too! I'm pretty stoked about attending. Unfortunately, I've been told that it's highly unlikely that I'll get to visit ALL the booths... Le sigh.

 
At Thursday, January 12, 2012 8:50:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I've read in the past that you can visit every booth if you don't stop longer than 10 seconds at any booth and I think you have to skip lunch too. My tip is to get online and look over the exhibitor list, copy the map and make a route of the ones you absolutely want to see. As you travel between them and see, "ooh, bright shiny things", write those numbers down and go back to them after you hit your "must" list. It's easy to get sidetracked. Remember the ballrooms in the Venetian and off to the side in the basement. Lots of new, hungry companies.

 
At Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:01:00 PM, Blogger Chas S. Clifton said...

My first year too -- still trying to figure out what might be defined as "essential" to see.

 
At Sunday, January 15, 2012 9:07:00 AM, Blogger David aka True Blue Sam said...

I hope you have a great time, and take a lot of photos. I can hardly wait for your after action review!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted