Monday, August 08, 2011

Tanfoglio Gold Custom Progress Report

For those of you who have been following along with the progress of the new Taqnfoglio 9mm. Gold Custom race gun, I can finally say that it's just about where it needs to be. The ammo load I've worked up shoots nice and soft with very little muzzle rise, yet I'm getting a power factor over 145. I tried shooting a few bowling pins with it, and it can really send a pin flying!



This video was taken by KeeWee yesterday at the Yakima Classic Steel Challenge match. I had a couple of stove-pipes, but that was with some ammunition that I wasn't quite happy with. The latest ammunition, though, ran beautifully all day. In spite of the stove-pipes costing me a bit of time, I still managed third place in Open Division, not very far behind second place.

Yes, my draw is still dreadfully slow, but that's mostly because I haven't been practicing it much. I've been spending most of my spare time getting the gun tuned and the load perfected.

I'm really getting to like the Tanfoglio, and as I continue to tweak it, it's just going to get better and better!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did you do to fix the stove piping issue. I have the same gun as you and I can't get through a 5 stage match without the gun malfunctioning.

 
At Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:07:00 PM, Blogger Mr. Completely said...

Several things all contributed to eliminating stovepipes. Heavy extractor spring from Wolff Springs, a good extractor, and at least a 10 or 11 lb. spring on the guide rod, for starters. Also, a reduced power hammer spring. I've got a 14lb. Wolff hammer spring right now. Finally, make sure you are loading hot enough to cycle the gun. A PF around 140 or 145 and it should run like a clock. It was never intended to run at low power factors. If you have the large frame version, you also meed to get the latest MECCGAR AFC coated magazines. Most of the Tanfoglio magazines from EAA won't run reliably. Use round nose bullets rather than Semi-flat or HP's.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted