Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Paul Bunyan Steel Report - July 2011

Even though it rained most of the day, at least it wasn't cold, so keeping warm wasn't a problem, just keeping dry! We had seventy guns entered, so the turn out was pretty good, considering the weather. The way the classes are set up is a bit unconventional, as there is no traditional Steel Challenge style Open class. Open class at Paul Bunyan includes all rimfire pistols, and anything else with an optical sight, and it's shot from a "Muzzle on the Barrel" start position. Shooting the Tanfoglio and starting with it in the holster costs you some time since you have to draw, but it's all for fun anyway, and I really need the match draw practice. There is a draw class at Paul Bunyan, but it is limited to centerfire iron sighted guns.

The Tanfoglio is still not quite where it needs to be, and I was getting double-feeds every so often which didn't help my times much! Even with that, though, I ended up 32nd. out of 70 overall, and a lot of the shooters ahead of me were shooting a rimfire gun, not drawing from a holster, or both. I've still got a long ways to go, but progress is being made, and I was reasonably satisfied with the progress with the new gun so far.

I don't have a lot of time to get it dialed in as the World Championships are next month, but I'm getting there. I just hope I can get it perfected in time!

After the match we stopped by the restaurant at the nearby airport to eat, relax, BS, and watch airplanes come and go.

After lunch we headed home. It was a fun day!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted