Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Piru, Here We Come!

This is the big week for Steel Challenge shooting, as the Steel Challenge World championships will be held in Piru, California on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. The awards ceremony will be on Sunday morning. Where is Piru? Piru is up in the hills a bit West of Valencia. Valencia is  best known for the Six Flags Magic Mountain Theme Park. Valencia is roughly a thirty minute drive North of the North end of Los Angeles, or more specifically, Burbank.

Tomorrow morning KeeWee and I board the Whidbey SeaTac shuttle for an hour and a half ride to the  Airport, then fly from Seattle to Burbank. In Burbank I pick up the rental car and "White-Knuckle" my way out of LA and up the freeway to Valencia, where we are staying. Thursday morning at 8:30am I will be shooting the Rimfire Open division, shooting all eight stages in one day. I don't know yet when I will be shooting the Centerfire Open division, as it could be four stages on Friday and four stages on Saturday, or it could be all eight on either Friday or Saturday. I won't know until I get there.

The new Tanfoglio Gold Custom 9mm. race gun is working pretty well, and is pretty reliable, but it's just barely ready for prime time, so to speak. Each match it's a little better, but it still has more recoil than it needs, and it still stove-pipes once in a while. It's actually quite a bit ahead of schedule, as I had originally figured on not having it really ready for competition until early Spring, so having a few problems is still to be expected.

The weather in Piru is always horribly hot and miserable, but this year I think I've got a better handle on controlling dehydration and heat exhaustion, so I'm hoping problems from that will be minimal.

The Rimfire High Standard race gun with the Volquartsen barrel and OKO red dot sight has been working really well the last few weeks, and I'm fairly confident that it will do exactly what it's supposed to do, provided I do may part!

Since I don't know exactly what the shooting schedule will be, I don't know how much time I'll have for blogging from Piru, but I am taking my netbook so if I get the chance I can post a report or so.

Stay tuned..............

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted