Thursday, September 27, 2007

Triumph Daytona 500 Street Scrambler

Yesterday morning as I was sitting at the computer I heard music out in the driveway. No, not the usual "BOOMP - THUDDA - THUDDA" crap, real music, the melodious sounds of a Triumph Daytona 500, just restored to a late sixties era street scrambler/street legal dirt track racer configuration.

My friend Nick had just finished it up and rode it over to show it off. I took it for a short ride across the pasture, out to the main road, and back to the house by road. The road back is a narrow one lane paved strip of asphalt, maybe 15 feet wide and with barbed wire fences on both sides, so I didn't go much over 50, or thereabouts, but it sure was a nice running and riding bike!


Nick and the pristine Daytona
(yes, click to enlarge, by all means!)


Note the Bell 500 helmet and appropriate era goggles!


It even starts on the first kick!

I have to admit, the new high -tech bikes just don't seem to speak to me, even though they are fast and handle well. A mid to late sixties Triumph, Norton, or BSA, however, and it's a different story.

I guess it's either something you understand, or you never will........

8 Comments:

At Thursday, September 27, 2007 10:15:00 AM, Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Love the fork brace!

 
At Thursday, September 27, 2007 11:43:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice looking scooter!
das

 
At Thursday, September 27, 2007 3:46:00 PM, Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Very nice!

 
At Thursday, September 27, 2007 8:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet lil Trump! Wouldn't mind one myself. Even in today's era of seriously crappy cage drivers.

 
At Friday, September 28, 2007 8:27:00 AM, Blogger Rivrdog said...

"Starts on the first kick"?

Can't be a real Triumph. Also, in the picture, both the lower legs of the owner appear equal, another clue that it ain't real.

He must have tweaked the magneto to get it to start on the first kick.

Also, I notice that the pipes are nice and blue, so here is a rider who doesn't fuss about the look of the machine. Those pipes are also unshielded, as riders were expected to ride motorcycles in heavy pants and boots back then (the way they should be riding now, but I see a lot of C/Rs with the rider in shorts and/or sandals.

 
At Friday, September 28, 2007 11:07:00 AM, Blogger Mr. Completely said...

George:

1. British bikes, Triumphs, Nortons, and BSAs in particular, when in proper tune, will often start on the first kick.

2. The pipes are blue because they had been on a different engine that was too lean, blueing the pipes. The pipes are tucked in close enough that you don't burn yourself on them, although wearing full length pants is a good idea. You're right, though, that's a good idea with any motorcycling.

3. Triumphs like this one don't have a magneto.

.... Mr. C.

 
At Saturday, September 29, 2007 9:31:00 AM, Blogger Col. Hogan said...

A long time ago, I owned two BSA thumpers, a WWII courier bike and a 441 Victor. I put many miles on the Victor before (unfortunately) selling it for a 2-stroke Suzuki. Later, I turned toward Harleys, and now I can't get them out of my blood.

 
At Wednesday, September 23, 2009 2:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I currently own four Triumphs; a 1970 Bonneville 650(currently going through restoration), a 1972 Daytona 500 (w/only 3000 original miles on it!), a 1974 Trident 750 and a 2007 Scrambler 900. I love them all! I really like your 500 srambler.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted