Friday, June 01, 2007

Heaven Help Us ! !

I just received the registration tabs for my twelve foot aluminum boat from the Washington State Department of Licensing. Enclosed with the new tabs was a full color tri-fold brochure warning me about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning when boating.

Fortunately, since I was educated in the Washington State School system, they assume that I am not smart enough to deal with long words, so they refer to carbon monoxide as CO.


My twelve foot aluminum boat in the foreground.

The brochure was also full of pearls of wisdom including the statement that "if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning you should seek fresh air". Funny, I always though that if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning you should immediately wrap your lips around the exhaust pipe of an idling Hummer see if you can suck hard enough to collapse the muffler!

Included with the brochure was a spiffy decal which by law must be affixed to my boat in a location visible to all passengers. I wonder what the jail time is for failure to affix the carbon monoxide warning decal? I'll bet it's more severe than sneaking in from Mexico!

Now carbon monoxide poisoning can be a real problem with larger boats with enclosed cabins as exhaust can easily be drawn into the cabin, and the result can be deadly. Smart big boat owners have carbon monoxide sensors in the cabin that set off an alarm if carbon monoxide is detected. However, look at my boat in the picture above. Not only is it an open boat, but the exhaust is under water, and if the engine is running, the boat is probably moving, and in my case, moving at full throttle. Carbon monoxide poisoning? It's just not going to happen!

The state's response will most certainly be something along the lines of ".... it was less expensive (translation: easier, and it's not my money, anyway) to send the brochure and decal to everyone."

Baloney...............

1 Comments:

At Sunday, June 03, 2007 4:15:00 PM, Blogger Rivrdog said...

Lemme see: Already I have to post a MarPol plastic-in-the-ocean warning placard, a Discharge of oil placard, there's an old placard on the overboard valve for the head that predates my sanitary sewage system, and now this?

CO is a difficulty, and to keep an eye on it, I have a direct-reading (digital ppm readout) CO detector in the cabin.

It saved my butt at one moorage where my neighboring boat fired up his main motor on a still morning to heat water for a shower and gassed me out of my boat on a 35 degree morning. I quit boating with that crowd soo after.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted