Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Wren Nest in the Car Port

When I went out to the car port to cut up some cardboard boxes for the garbage, I had a surprise. I had a pile of boxes piled up behind the garbage can, and I had cut up two or three boxes when I noticed a bird nest in the corner of one of the boxes.


At first I thought it might have been an old swallow nest that had fallen from the rafters, but when I looked a little closer I could see a bunch of tiny pink eggs in the nest. I carefully took a couple of pictures, then did my best to put some of the boxes back roughly where they had been covering the view of the nest.


Both KeeWee and I have been rattling around in the car port from time to time with garden stuff, garbage for the garbage can, and other disturbances, so perhaps this disturbance will be ignored too. Fortunately the box and the nest weren't touched or moved, so it should be OK. I did not know that wrens have pink eggs.

UPDATE: Momma wren is back sitting on the eggs, so I didn't disturb her. I'll see if I can get some pictures of the chicks when they hatch.......

2 Comments:

At Thursday, April 12, 2007 11:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure those aren't Easter Bunny eggs? How else can you account for all the bunnies around your place?

Damiphino

 
At Saturday, April 14, 2007 3:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my limited experience (mostly with robins) mama bird will come back as long as you don't handle the nest. I guess they don't like human scent very much.

Merle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted