Monday, August 14, 2006

Pipe Cleaners

Sometimes you come across something that although it's not world peace or anything like that, it's still something pretty neat. For those of you who have already discovered these, you can skip to the next post, but for the rest of you all, check this out! I was wandering through a craft store a while back and saw a package of big pipe cleaners in their clearance bin. (The are not called pipe cleaners, but chenille stems, to be politically correct!)

I grabbed them and figured they'd be handy reaching into nooks and crannies when cleaning guns. BOY HOWDY! These are great for that! Cleaning the slide rail grooves, extractor slots, extractors, lots of places. I don't know how I got along with out them. Even though the craft store's price, even on clearance, wasn't that great for the size of the package, they were still well worth it. It didn't take me long to use them all up.

KeeWee is a "Dollar Store" addict, so I tagged along one time to see if there might be some chenille stems in the Dollar Store. BINGO, and a big package was only a dollar. It kinda made my day, in sort of a small caliber way.

Grab a pack and give them a try, you'll see what I mean!

4 Comments:

At Monday, August 14, 2006 3:35:00 PM, Blogger AlanDP said...

If you have some really stubborn scrubbing to do in a tight spot, you can also get real pipe cleaners from your local tobacconist, or order them online, that have tiny nylon spines in addition to the fluffy stuff.

They are more expensive, but when you need them, there's really nothing else that can do the job.

 
At Monday, August 14, 2006 5:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's what I use to clean the gas tube of my Hakim.
It also works for such everyday rifles as AR-15's.

Merle

 
At Monday, August 14, 2006 5:22:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, all of us AR-15 owners have known about these forever. Fit into the gas tube just right.

.ed

 
At Friday, August 18, 2006 10:46:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My drill sergeant told everybody in the platoon to get to the PX to buy pipe cleaners to use on the gas tubes of our M16A1s way back in 1971. I don't think it was his original discovery.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted