Monday, July 10, 2006

Taurus PT92 Econo Race Gun Report

You've probably been wondering about the 9mm. Taurus PT92 "Econo Race Gun" project I had posted about a while back. Well, between working, fishing, and setting up KeeWee's High Standard rimfire race gun, I haven't had time to do much with it.

Taurus PT92 9mm. Econo Race Gun Project

The Simmons sight shown in the picture has gone to another gun, and I have temporarily replaced it with a 25mm. Tasco red dot sight. Although the Tasco seems to work well, it's just too small for fast handgun target acquisition, at least for me. I suspect another Simmons will be going back on to the PT92.

The last time I had the PT92 out to the range, I could see that the front end of the sight mount needed to drop just a little bit to get the sight to zero and still be in the middle of its adjustment range. I shimmed it down about .015, and that seems to be just about right.

The single action only conversion seems to be working well. The trigger return spring can be much lighter with single action only, and it's just about perfect. I think I may make up some sort of a trigger shoe to effectively move the trigger a little farther forward, as it feels like it's too far back. I haven't figured out how to make the magazine release easier to use yet, but that's also on the list of things remaining to be done.

I've made some small changes to tighten up a few things and improve the accuracy, and they seem to have helped.

15 rounds rapid fire at 25 feet.

Here's the target that was my first attempt at rapid fire with the Taurus. This was 15 rounds at right around 2 rounds per second. The distance was 25 feet. Not good enough to win any see-gars, but encouraging enough to make me think I'm on the right track.

So far it's been a fun project, and it's rewarding to see it coming along as it is!

3 Comments:

At Monday, July 10, 2006 7:44:00 PM, Blogger trainer said...

Damn, that looks good to me. Especially for the first time you tried it.

Any pistol that can tear big holes like that at 25 yards rapid fire off-hand is coming along just fine.

 
At Tuesday, July 11, 2006 10:02:00 AM, Blogger Mr. Completely said...

25 yards would have been nice, but that's only 25 feet.

Maybe if I practice a LOT.......

......Mr. C.

 
At Wednesday, July 12, 2006 11:11:00 AM, Blogger trainer said...

My bad...

But still excellent for the first time out. It looks like 50% of your rounds were touching...it won't take much practice to tighten that up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted