Thursday, April 13, 2006

BAG (Buy a Gun) Day Purchase


High Standard Supermatic Citation ML-106 of Hamden Manufacture. 7" fluted barrel, and a Tasco ProPoint Red Dot sight.




April 15th. is BAG (Buy a Gun) day, and we all have to do our civic duty and go out and buy a gun. I fudged a little and ended up buying my BAG day gun a couple of weeks ago.

One thing I learned a long time ago is that when a good deal shows up, jump on it right then. Good deals are usually driven by someone who wants to get some money out of something right now, and are willing to drop the price to get it sold today! That was the case on this one.

I got talking to a fellow at a hanging plate match who mentioned that he had just bought a new Smith & Wesson model 41, and had a High Standard to get rid of. He also mentioned that he had it in his car.

"Let's go have a look." I replied, and we went to his car. It was a High Standard Supermatic Citation ML-106 with a 7" fluted High Standard barrel. Both the barrel and gun were built in Hamden, which are considered to be the better ones, compared to the Hartford manufactured ones. Blueing wasn't perfect, but still nice condition. The barrel had been drilled for a scope mount, which reduced the value somewhat, but I was interested in it to shoot, rather than just as a collector's gun. The three magazines are all "after-market" and after-market mags are always an iffy proposition on the High Standards. Even the factory mags are picky until you get them tuned just right.

I asked him what he was asking for it, and he quoted a reasonable price, but a bit more than I wanted to spend. I declined, and thanked him for showing it to me. I suggested that if he advertised it around, he would probably eventually get the price he was asking, but it might take some time.

Then he said the magic words, "If you are interested in it, I'll let you have it for $xxx." I nearly tore the pocket off my pants getting my wallet out!

"That does, of course, include the case, doesn't it?"
I added, as I was counting out the bills for him.

"Sure"

"Cool"


I won't spoil your day by telling you the final price, but it was well under $500.00!

That's a deal on one of these sweet shooters!

Happy BAG day!

5 Comments:

At Thursday, April 13, 2006 3:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice lookin' iron there.
Congrats & Happy BAG day to you too.

 
At Thursday, April 13, 2006 8:45:00 PM, Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

You really don't suck.

But I'm still totally jealous!!!

 
At Thursday, April 13, 2006 8:54:00 PM, Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

BTW, how much is a weight set for one of these worth, with 2 sets of weights in it, roughly?

 
At Friday, April 14, 2006 5:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the days of my stupid youth I had a Supermatic/Trophy-matic with a three-barrel set - fluted, bull and flute with the big muzzle brake. I traded or sold for a mess of pottage somewhere back then - sob...

 
At Saturday, April 15, 2006 7:19:00 PM, Blogger Xavier said...

Way to go you dog!

That's a sweet pistol!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted