Saturday, March 12, 2011

Not Exactly As Planned........

The plan was to head over to the Kitsap Rifle & Revolver Club today for a Fun Steel match, then grab lunch with some of the guys from the match, then head home. That's not exactly how it ended up!

I dragged my sleepy self out of bed at five - (Expletive) - thirty, and stumbled my way to the kitchen for coffee. KeeWee, far smarter than I, knowing that the forecast was for rain all day, stayed in bed where it was warm.

I sloshed down some coffee, ate a couple of nuked pancakes from yesterday, and loaded the match guns and gear into the car. I had no problem catching the 6:30 ferry from Whidbey Island to America (what we Whidbey locals refer to as "The Mainland", and shortly thereafter I was back on dry land and headed towards Edmonds, WA. to catch yet another car ferry, this time to re-cross Puget Sound to get to Kingston, WA. It's a thirty minute crossing, and after dozing a bit on the way across, I was back on the road again ("...On the road again" ? Hmm, might make a good song) and thirty or forty minutes later I pulled in to the KRRC range.

All the way it had been raining with great enthusiasm, and when I got out of the car and walked over to sign-up, it was still raining. A number of the regulars were standing around under the roof over the rifle line shooting stations, where we usually do the sign-ins. It turns out that the match had been canceled. Several of the bays were under water! John, the match director, explained that he had checked the condition last night just before dark, and everything was fine. Last night, during the night however, it had rained heavily, flooding the range.

After standing around visiting with the regulars for a while, John, James, and I headed over to the Red Apple Diner for coffee and a late breakfast, or an early lunch, depending on how you figure it. The coffee, food, and conversation were excellent, and after stuffing myself with a large plate of biscuits and gravy, I headed home. Two ferry rides and a couple of hours later, I was home.

After a day like this, there is only one really good action as a follow-up.

I took a nap..........


At Monday, March 14, 2011 7:51:00 AM, Blogger Aaron Geisler said...

I was there too, but went into work instead of a nap. Maybe next month.

At Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:47:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heck after I left, I just cleaned and worked on guns in front of the TV all day.


Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted