Friday, April 24, 2009

What I've been up to lately.......

Time sure flies! I've been trying to practice every day for the Steel Challenge matches coming up, and I still haven't really gotten back to where I was shooting last Fall before I got sick. My fast runs in practice are faster than last year, but I can't seem to find the consistency so I can put several good runs back to back. It's funny how practice works, and it's the same for just about anything you try to learn. Instead of a gradual increase in performance proportional to your practice, it's more of a "Stair-Step". You practice and practice and practice and don't seem to be getting anywhere, then suddenly out of the blue you move up one whole level! I know that's how it works, but it sure can be frustrating for the jump to happen! I really need that one next level before weekend after this one..........

I've also been talking to a few people about possibly writing a book on rimfire handgun race tuning. I realize it's a small market, but I would also cover a lot of stuff that applies to regular rimfire shooting too, such as curing feed problems, dealing with magazines, stove-pipes, and all the other fun stuff that can make you crazy at the range. At one time or another I've worked on most of the common rimfire pistols, so I could include quite a bit about specific guns. What do you think, think anyone would be interested?

I'm also looking into going into production on a few of the specialty rimfire race parts I've developed over the last few years, including sight mounts, extractors, firing pins, and a couple of other things. I'm already making them for my own use, so the design is already there, it's just a case of producing them.

In my spare time (!) I've been getting things lined up for the Gun Blogger Rendezvous coming up in mid-September. It looks like I've got the steel plates and target stands lined up for some Steel Challenge shooting, but the actual venue has yet to be determined. It looks like NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) is going to be involved this year too ,which would be great! The pieces are starting to come together, so be sure to get the dates on your calendar and get your hotel reservations and Rendezvous registration in as soon as you can. Early registrations help me a ton when I'm making plans and getting things arranged. For all the latest Rondy info, check the Gun Blogger Rendezvous website.

Stay tuned, the game is afoot...........................

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Saturday, April 25, 2009 6:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would be interested. My Ruger MK2has been driving me nuts. I quit competing in indoor pistol because I couldn't get it to run thru one complete match.

Merle

 
At Saturday, April 25, 2009 7:28:00 PM, Blogger Michael Bane said...

Write that rimfire book and DOWN RANGE TV will be happy to feature it and help you peddle a few copies...

Michael B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted