Saturday, September 20, 2008

KRRC Fun Steel 09/13/2008

I'm a bit late getting this posted, but between working, last minute stuff for the Gun Blogger Rendezvous, and naps (!) there just doesn't seem to be enough time to get everything done on time.

Anyhow, since KeeWee was able to get the whole weekend off, including Friday, we decided to spend a couple of nights in the RV at Scenic View State Park near Silverdale, Washington on Hood Canal. We booked our campsite on line, and they even have pictures of each site so you can see what you get before you make your reservations.

Our 'Land Yacht' in the parking spot of our campground.

We caught the Noon (late, as usual) Washington State Ferry from Whidbey Island to Port Townsend, then drove about an hour to the campground, making only one stop at Sportsman's Warehouse to pick up another couple of thousand rounds of .22 ammo.

The camp site was really nice, with a good fire pit, and a nearby trail that leads to the rest rooms and showers nearby. We settled in, unpacked a bit, and I took a short nap as KeeWee read a book. After my nap we took a walk around the campgrounds and down to the beach area on Hood Canal.

The tide was in, so there wasn't much beach showing, but the scenery was nice, anyway.

Saturday morning we headed over to the Kitsap Rifle & Revolver club for the monthly Fun Steel match. The matches are usually six stages long, with five runs on each stage. Your slowest individual time on each stage is thrown out, and the remaining four times are totalled. Your total time for all stages determines you finish standing.

Mr. C. and the Falling Plates.

One of the stages is usually a falling plate rack. This time you had to hit (for rimfire) or knock over (for centerfire) any four white plates, then the black stop plate last. I think my best run was around 2.14, if I remember correctly. This was a very fast stage.

Perhaps the most spectacular runs of the day were by Lee P. and his 9mm. EAA custom race gun shooting the stage called "Drag Race". Nothing complicated here, just put five shots on the plate as fast as you can go. When you really start pushing the speed it's easy to miss the plate, even at this range! Lee's total for all four runs on this stage was 4.48 seconds. That's a 1.12 average! WOW!

After the match KeeWee and I headed back to the State Park campsite to unwind from the match. John and Jeanette from the KRRC club joined us a bit later in the evening for some hot dogs and marshmellows over the campfire.

It didn't take long for the fresh air and "de-adrenalizing" to kick in, and everyone started fading in and out early in the evening. I suspect a few glasses of wine may have contributed, too!

After a good night's sleep and a late breakfast we headed back towards Port Townsend for the ferry to Whidbey Island and then home. As we were passing Silverdale mall, however, I asked KeeWee if she wanted to cruise the Mall for anything, and since her daughter's birthday is coming up we decided to check out the Mall for sales. She found a number of good buys, so it was worth the stop.

From the Mall we stopped and checked out another state park campground along the way. It wasn't worth the trouble. Then back across the Hood Canal floating bridge, then North to Port Townsend, then across the ferry (late, again) and home.

Once again we had a grand time, but were worn out when we got home........

Labels: ,


Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted