Wednesday, December 06, 2006

What Would YOU buy?

As we approach the Christmas season, thoughts turn to gifts and presents, among other things. The thought comes to mind “What do you, or I, really want for Christmas?” We often talk of what we would buy if we won the lottery and had unlimited amounts of money so we could buy whatever we could desire. A new car, a new house, maybe a long vacation to places you’ve always wanted to visit but couldn’t afford. Even some of the less expensive “…it would be nice to have a …….” items come to mind. Clothes, appliances, firearms, things to go with your hobbies, all sorts of things come to mind.

When I am asked about what I would buy if I had the money, my answer is always the same. Time. The one commodity in this life that once expended can never be replaced. There are only so many years, days, hours, minutes, and seconds in each of our life spans, and when they're gone they’re gone.

Unfortunately to survive we must “sell” portions of our lifespan in order to live as we want to live. The hours spent at work making a living are all hours that you have sold, or bartered, if you will, for money. That amounts to a lot of time. Mowing the lawn, painting the house, fixing the car, these also are all examples of selling your time, that is, unless you enjoy such activities, and then that’s another situation entirely. If you could afford to hire these jobs done instead, you would in effect be buying back your own time, buying back portions of your own lifespan.

How would I use these redeemed hours and days? How would you use them? The answer will be different for each and every one of us. For me, I would probably do many of the same things I do now as part of my job. I would probably still help out some of my clients, but not charge them a dime for helping. They too, are struggling, and by helping them out a bit, perhaps I could end up buying back a little of their time for them to enjoy. I would spend more time with family and friends. I would travel a bit more, perhaps visit some places I haven’t been in a while. Help some folks that need a little help from time to time. Would I buy a fancy car or boat? Nope, used is just fine. A round the world cruise? Hardly.

If I had the money I’d try to buy as much of my time as possible so that I could spend that time doing things I want to do, rather than things that I must do to be able to pay the bills.

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, December 06, 2006 4:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said, Mr C - time - one thing money can't buy - use it wisely. Thanks for the good words. . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted