Friday, March 17, 2006

e-Postal Rifle Match Shooting

Remington Model 513-T .22 Rifle



Got a chance to head out the The Holmes Harbor Rod & Gun Club range this morning and do a little shooting. I have a new (to me) Remington 513-T target rifle with a long heavy barrel and a Redfield peep sight.

This was my first time shooting it, and I had no idea how it would shoot. In fact, with my lousy eyes and no scope, I didn't even know if I could give it a fair test. I put up a "sighter" target at twenty-five yards, and ten or twelve rounds later it was hitting right where I was pointing it.

I put up the e-Postal Match "Tight Groups" target, and fired five rounds at each bull. To my amazement on the second bull I managed to put four rounds through the same jagged hole! The fifth was about an eigth of an inch away from joining the first four! I think luck had a lot to do with it, but I'll take it! The groups on the other four bulls was not nearly as tight, but still, I was very pleased with my first time shooting the 513-T.

I hung another "sighter" and another "Tight Groups" target at fifty yards, and grabbed the Savage/Anschutz Mk.12. This one ought to be even more accurate, since I had a 12x scope on it. Being able to see the target has GOT to help! Seven or eight shots and it was right on the money. The last sight-in shot used up the last round out of one box of fifty, so I grabbed another box from the same brick of ammo. First shot, 3/4" to one side. Second shot, an inch the other way! What's going on? Did someone slip me a blunderbuss?

Since I had started shooting the match target, I had to continue, as you only get one chance at it with any given rifle. It would shoot one way, and I'd correct my point of aim, and it would be off in some other direction. After fifteen rounds I decided it wasn't me, and grabbed another box of another brand of ammo. After five more rounds into the next to the last bull, it had settled down and was shooting where I pointed it. Last bull, all five in the ten ring! First four bulls, blechhhhh!

It was getting cold and I didn't have too much time, so I put away the rifles and decided to give Fuze's S&W K-22 .22 caliber revolver a try. What a sweet shooting pistol! I can see why Xavier raves about the K-22's. They are all that he says, and more!

Fingers and toes were getting cold, so we packed it in and called it a day.

3 Comments:

At Saturday, March 18, 2006 8:16:00 AM, Blogger Mr. Completely said...

Just submit the first one you shot. No problems!

......Mr. C.

 
At Saturday, March 18, 2006 7:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that Mr. Completely is trying to say - being the nice guy that he is - is:
"You really only shot it once".

 
At Saturday, March 18, 2006 8:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll go with that, but being the honest straight shooter that I am, I had to clarify. Either way, I'm damn happy with my scores.

Tomorrow I'm going to see what I can do to that target at 50yds with shotgun slugs, just for the sake of doing it. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted