Saturday, December 03, 2005

C-More Red Dot Sight - Update

C-More 'Railway' Red Dot Sight


Now that the smoke has cleared and the dust has settled, it's about time for an update on the C-More red dot sight I started using a few months ago. I've had the chance to shoot with it in several matches, a couple of e-Postal matches, and a few thousand rounds of practice, all with the C-More mounted on a High Standard Supermatic Citation 106 with a Volquartsen carbon fiber tension barrel.

C-More builds two versions of this sight, one made from composite, and one machined from a solid piece of aluminum. The one I've been using is the aluminum version. The sight itself appears to be really rugged and durable.

They sell this sight with a Weaver base mount, or one designed to bolt solidly to the top of the slide of a Glock. If you can bolt it to the slide, and it doesn't shake itself to pieces, it's got to be pretty solid, I'd say.

The infinitely adjustable elevation and windage screws, with a lock screw on each, is a good feature. It would have been nice if the windage screw was labeled as to which way was left or right. Not a big deal, you just have to move it and if the holes in the target move the wrong way, move it the other way. (If there are NO holes in the target, get closer!) Once it's locked down, it seems to stay put.

The dot size can be changed, but only by removing the diode module and replacing it with a different one, at roughly fifty bucks for the new module. I suspect you might have to re-zero after changing diode modules, too.

I got the 2 MOA dot, but there are several choices. So far, 2 MOA seems about right for the types of competition I do.

When I ordered the sight directly from C-More, I asked them about controlling glare when shooting with the sun either low in front or behind you, and are there threads on the front where you could screw in a lens filter if needed. I was told that with the aluminum version there are threads, but not with the composite version.

The first "real world" shooting in simulated match conditions was a Steel Challenge" practice session at the CWSA range. One stage had a 18" x 24" stop plate at 35 yards, right against the berm, and the sun just above the berm, as it was late in the day. The sun was also directly over the stop plate. I had a little trouble seeing the plates to either side, but the stop plate could not be seen at all, the glare was so bad. I had to sight along the side of the barrel and correct by where I was hitting the berm to hit the stop plate. Good thing it was only practice. The next stage the sun was behind the berm, and the glare disappeared completely. Depending on the sun's position, the sight went from unuseable, to outstanding!

Taking a close look at the sight, there were no threads on the front that I could see at all. The next day I telephoned the folks at C-More, and asked about the threads, or lack thereof. "Nope", they said, "whoever told you that was wrong. No threads, too bad, sorry....."

So I asked what others were doing about the glare problem "What glare problem? If you are having a glare problem, you must be the only one. Even in Iraq no one is having any glare problems. There is an aftermarket cover for the diode, you might try, but other than that, no problems..........."

So I asked them if anyone DID happen to have any problems, and finds a solution, would you let me know? (I'm not holding my breath for a reply, however!)

If this would have been a $29.95 red dot from Walmart, I could more expect this, but the C-More was roughly $350.00, and for that price you'd think there'd be a little bit more accurate information from the manufacturer, and a genuine attempt to help solve the problem.

My overall opinion: The things the C-More does well, it does them very well. If the light is flat, you are in the shade, or the sun is fairly high in the sky, it's a joy to use. At times like that, I love it.

With the light exactly wrong, it's just about useless. You might just as well be shooting from the hip.

As long as C-More insists that there is no problem, there will be no solution, at least not from them. Would a different lens coating fix it? I don't know.

In the meantime I've got a couple of months before all the matches start up again to try and invent some parts and pieces to solve the problem myself.

I shouldn't have to do that on a $350 dollar sight...............

1 Comments:

At Monday, December 26, 2005 6:10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can get a shield for the C-More here: http://www.1911store.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=143 The glare is caused by the sun reflecting off the diode into the lens, this cover prevents that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted