Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Buzz Robertson - An Update


Over the past several weeks I've run several posts regarding Buzz Robertson, a very special wounded soldier. I've solicited your emails to him in support of all he's done, and the sacrifices he's made for our country. Thanks to those bloggers who chose to also mention Buzz, and to those of you who have taken a moment of your time to send Buzz an email.

Buz is now getting eight or ten emails a day, and he's sharing them, and he and his wife are making a scrapbook of the cards, letters, and emails. Good job, everyone, I'm proud of you all!

Here's an email I received from Buzz's Aunt:

Thank you all for the cards and letters of support for SFC Richard Robertson who is in Walter Reed Hospital. His mother sent this update to me last week.

At the end of this week, we expect that he will be transferred to a rehab center in Augusta, GA. So please do not send any more cards until I get a new address for him. He and his wife have been thrilled to be receiving the cards and letters. They open them together and Sarah is keeping them to create a scrap book.


Buzz's story is a compelling one and I hope that the people who protest the war will understand that this young man has said if he could choose to enlist again he would. He understands the mission and the meaning of the War on Terror and he is proud of his service. I am proud to be related to him and humbled by his service to our country.


Thanks,


...........Buzz's Aunt


Here's an email from Buzz's mom to his Aunt:

Here's the most complete update I've sent out so far. This was for people I worked with at The Wellness Community. I thought you might want it because I included a little about the other two soldiers who survived.


I'm sure since Buzz is working with Special Operations I'll never have the "whole" story, but here's what I know.


On the evening of Thursday August 25th the vehicle Buzz (SFC Richard C. Robertson) was driving hit a mine. Two of the soldiers were killed instantly another died after being flown to Germany for treatment. Buzz's injuries were the worst of the three survivors. Buzz, Chris and Dan were the survivors. They were all treated and stabilized in Germany so they could be flown to Walter Reed in D.C., they arrived on Sunday August 28th.


One of the survivors, Chris, was in the hospital a week before being discharged. He'll be in rehab for a long time because he had extensive damage to his left leg and both feet (the docs at Walter Reed wanted to amputate both his feet.....he said "NO") he's in a wheelchair and on crutches but he's improving with each day.


The other wounded warrior, Dan, had a head injury. He had a goose egg right in the middle of his forehead. It was about 4 inches long and 2 or 3 inches wide....it was BIG! He was unconscious for a couple of days and still can't remember anything from Aug 24 to Sept.03 but he's been released from the hospital. His main concern was being discharged in time to reenlist!!! These special forces guys are made of different stuff than the rest of us. They are all incredible! Anyway he went home about two weeks ago......and he has re enlisted.


Buzz was on a vent when he arrived at Walter Reed August 28th. He had 8 bags hanging from two IV poles. He had an art line to monitor his blood pressure (spinal injuries cause your BP to drop and his did) He had a central line. He had more lines, tubes and drains than I've ever seen in one human being. All of his upper front teeth were chipped and broken. He had a large wound on his left shoulder, his right shoulder was bruised from collar bone to his waist. His left knee had a drain and several staples in it. He had seventeen staples in his right elbow in three places. He had several scrapes, burns and bruises from his right eye lid to his ankle. He was wearing a large cervical collar and couldn't move his head.

I'll never forget when I got to see him he somehow produced a big smile around all the tubes and broken teeth, then he winked and gave me a thumbs up. I had to leave the room.


He was in ICU from Sunday August 28th until last Wednesday September 14th. Now he's in room 5168. All his lines have been removed and he's eating whatever he wants. He still has to wear a Cervical Collar because there's damage to his C-4 and C-5 vertebra. They are healing but slower than he'd like. He has titanium rods on either side of his spine from the T-2 to the T-8 to stabilize his spine. His spinal incision is healing well and with help, he's able to sit up in a chair.
He's had two surgeries on his abdomen and liver to remove shrapnel. His abdomen is healing well and his liver has already started to rejuvenate.

He asked for and got a trapeze bar over his bed so he can pull himself up. His upper body strength is a blessing. He looks like a different person than when he arrived at Walter Reed three weeks ago. The doctor said he was using it too much too soon - so it was taken away.


He is still running a low grade fever and they can't figure why. It was spiking 103 degrees....three nights in a row. It hasn't gotten over 100 for the past three days so I guess his body is going to fight off the infection before the doctors can figure out where it is or what's causing it... The doctors have now discovered that one of the shrapnel wounds had a fungus that came from the shrapnel -- He had yet another operation to excise the wound and that may clear up the fever problem. The wound on his shoulder still has to be dressed every day but it's healing.


All these guys are physically fit and very healthy I'm sure that's got a lot to do with their recovery, but they all have the attitude and determination to get right back up and at it again. I hope and pray my son will be mobile but I know even if he's confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life, he's alive and he'll be making lemonade for the rest of us.


If you don't already have it here's his address :

Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Patient: SFC Richard C. Robertson

Room 5168

6900 Georgia Avenue NW

Washington, D.C. 20307

(For those of us on the internet, you can email Buzz at


and tell him how much we appreciate his sacrifice. ....Mr. C.)

He will be at Walter Reed for at least another week to heal from all his surgeries and hopefully be free of his cervical collar before being discharged to a spinal rehab facility in Georgia. He'll be in the rehab facility for at least 6 months.


I know we're lucky to have him alive and I'm so very grateful for so many things I almost feel guilty for asking in my prayers that he will regain mobility, but if it can be done, I know my son can do it. I can't believe his courage, his attitude and his sense of humor. It tears my heart out to think about the struggle he has ahead of him but I know he can do whatever it takes to be all he can be.

He's my hero now more than ever.

Thanks for caring, and please keep the prayers coming....I know they work!!!

..............Buzz's Mom


Thought you'all would like a progress report...........

2 Comments:

At Thursday, September 29, 2005 8:57:00 AM, Blogger Firehand said...

Hell, yes. When you get a mailing address, put it up! I've got a card waiting.

 
At Friday, September 30, 2005 7:15:00 AM, Blogger Barb said...

Thanks for the reporting on SFC Robertson. Our military people never cease to amaze me with their determination to heal and return to duty. They are incredible people!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted