Friday, May 20, 2005

Big Fish + Light Tackle = FUN!


I've been neglecting the fishing side of the blog, so this should help to restore a little balance here.

You don't find chum salmon everywhere, but in Alaska they are plentiful. This one was about seventeen pounds, and was caught on a 7 weight fly rod in Juneau, Alaska. The "glamour" salmon in Alaska are the mighty chinook, or "King", and rocket powered coho, also known as the "silver".

The chum never gets the attention that those two get, but pound for pound, nothing fights better or is harder to tire out than a chum. They are also absolutely outstanding smoked. (Should I post my smoked salmon recipe?) Very mild salmon flavor, not at all strong like some salmon species.

I do a little guiding in Alaska from time to time, and Chad and Tony were a great couple of guys to fish with . we had a ball!

1 Comments:

At Monday, May 23, 2005 2:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Rivrdog sits as I write in the Salmon Capital of the world In Ketchikan, but not much is running, so I DIDN'T pay $180 to go out and try my luck. It's supposed to be daynaqmite year up here though, as they are letting the gillnetters go after Kings for the first time in decades.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted