Sunday, October 27, 2013

Peter Schouwink - Rest In Peace My Friend

The first time I traveled to Holland for the European Steel Challenge Championships (2009) I didn't quite know what to expect. I was happy to find that shooters are shooters, all over the world, and we are all part of one big family.

That first year I emailed Hans Wigger, the match director, and told him that if there were two other shooters not already on a Rimfire Team, I would like to also enter in the team event. Hans said he would take care of it! When I arrived in Winterswijk, Holland, I was totally surprised to see that I had joined Team Dragonballs, along with Hans Wigger, the Match Director, and Peter Schouwink, the Head Referee! WOW!

 I think we came in 4th that year. Not too bad considering that we were all Seniors, shooting against a bunch of younger shooters in the Team event. Team Dragonballs entered every year through this last Springs ESC13 Championships. In 2010 and 2012 we managed a third place and got a trip to the Awards Ceremony platform for our medals.

Hans Wigger, Peter Schouwink, and myself on the Award Platform receiving our 3rd. place medals for the Rimfire Team Event at the 2012 European Steel Challenge Championships in Winterswijk, Holland.

Over the years I got to know both Peter and Hans, and really enjoyed their company. Peter was smart, funny, and eccentric in a fun way.

Earlier this year I got an email from a friend in Holland that Peter had been diagnosed with a rapidly advancing form of terminal cancer, and that he had only a few months to live. I just got another email, and Peter had died a few weeks ago. I guess it's kind of a good thing that he went quickly, rather than going through a long and painful decline with the same result, but somehow that doesn't make me feel much better right now.

Goodbye, my friend, I will miss you in Winterswijk.


3 Comments:

At Monday, October 28, 2013 5:16:00 AM, Blogger David aka True Blue Sam said...

A very good man; so sad for his family and friends.

 
At Monday, October 28, 2013 8:30:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I send you my condolences.

Merle

 
At Thursday, December 19, 2013 12:01:00 PM, Anonymous Sascha said...

This is so sad. He was such a fine guy. Always happy and friendly. What a big loss. I´m glad, that at least, I had the opportunity to say good bye to Peter in Portugal. He will be missed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted