Monday, January 05, 2009

A Pet's Ten Commandments

Over the last couple of months dealing with the surgery, complications, and working my way to recovery one thing has been a constant comfort to me has been my cat Rocket. Twenty four hours a day and seven days a week Rocket has never been more than a few feet away from me, excluding trips to the food dish and litter box, of course.

Your pets know when you aren't feeling well, and they get concerned about how you are doing. Cats can see infrared, so if you have a fever you are, at least to the cat, a slightly different and abnormal color. Rocket would curl up on the foot of the bed, sphinx-like, and watch for anyone or anything approaching. It was obvious that he was clearly doing what he could to guard and protect me from whatever threat might appear. Dogs will do the same thing.

If I was having trouble sleeping he would purr until I finally would doze off, then he would go back into "Guard-Cat" mode on the foot of the bed.

When I read this Pet's Ten Commandments I thought I should pass it along in the form of a blog post. When you think of your pets, remember that they depend on you to make their life a quality life!


A PET'S TEN COMMANDMENTS.........

1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.

7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.

9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.

10. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.

Take a moment today to thank God for your pets. Enjoy and take good care of them. Life would be a much duller, less joyful experience without God's critters. We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness. It is here on earth and has four legs!

10 Comments:

At Monday, January 05, 2009 9:12:00 PM, Blogger david said...

well said - thanks
david

 
At Monday, January 05, 2009 9:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww man. You made me get all misty. Honest.

I do love pets. I wish I could afford one at the moment.

 
At Tuesday, January 06, 2009 10:35:00 AM, Blogger Bob said...

Numbers 9 and 10 have me in tears. Beautiful writing.

 
At Tuesday, January 06, 2009 9:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That made me take a minute to think of our pets, 2 dogs and a cat. All have different personalities but they also have one common thread just like your post said. Everything they do revolves around you and their love is unconditional. I sure like them better than most people!

Damiphino

 
At Wednesday, January 07, 2009 3:35:00 AM, Blogger Xavier said...

How true these all are. BZ

 
At Thursday, January 08, 2009 8:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice Mr.C.

 
At Friday, January 09, 2009 7:24:00 AM, Blogger Manfred said...

Well done Mr C.

 
At Monday, February 23, 2009 3:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful, just beautiful. We LOVE our little dog and agree with every word.
I just posted about her on my blog just 3 days ago!

 
At Friday, May 21, 2010 8:58:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lost a dog a month ago that broke my heart and now have another dog that is just a joy. What wonderful friends.

 
At Wednesday, July 28, 2010 2:31:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

WE JUST HAD TO PUT OUR 10 YEAR OLD, PRECIOUS COCKER SPANIEL TO SLEEP. SHE HAD HEART DISEASE, WAS BLIND AND HAD BEEN SICK FOR MONTHS. WE, OF COURSE, WERE WITH HER FOR HER FINAL MOMENTS. EVEN THO IT BROKE OUR HEARTS, WE WOULDN'T HAVE HAD IT ANY OTHER WAY. WE LOVED HER SO AND SHE LOVED US. WE WILL MISS HER , ALWAYS.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted