Thursday, December 06, 2007

I Need A Vacation........

Once again it's been a really busy week. Spent Monday working and getting ready to go to trial to stop the developer from pushing a road across my property to a sub-division he wants to put in. Tuesday we spent the whole day in court. Pretty exhausting, and the judge didn't rule at the end of the day. He said he will rule in a few days. We'll just have to wait to see what he says.

Wednesday I was out in the field doing a few service calls. They just happened to be close to Admiralty Arsenal, Joe Lippo's place, and I had to stop by and see what was new. He had mentioned last week that he had an almost brand new Taurus Model 608 revolver in stainless I should take a look at. 6" factory ported barrel, 8 shot .357 Magnum with adjustable target sights. I looked it over, and it looked like new. Yep, no willpower at all, it followed me home. After a little "Tuning" and a Wolff spring kit we'll see how it works as a race gun.

Last week I got a call from Joe that my new Glock 34 had arrived, the one I won in the drawing late last Summer at the regional Glock Only match at Kitsap Rifle & Revolver club. I picked it up lasat week and it looks pretty good, too. That L - O - N- G Glock trigger pull is going to take some getting used to, I can see. Just gotta practice more, I guess........

Got a bit more work to catch up on today, then tomorrow night is the Fishin' Club's Christmas potluck dinner. YUMMMM!

It seems like everything is happening all at once these days. Didn't we invent time to keep that from happening?

3 Comments:

At Friday, December 07, 2007 10:48:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Now you'll need to load some 230 gr. wadcutters (R&R bullets) into some 38 spl brass for pins.

Cheers,

Norm

 
At Friday, December 07, 2007 11:41:00 AM, Blogger Mr. Completely said...

I've had good results with 200 gr. SWC bullets from Cast Performance in matches where I had to knock the pins a long ways back to get them off the table. 230's might be even better. Do you know a good source for R&R bullets?

...... Mr. C.

 
At Saturday, December 08, 2007 6:34:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

R&R Bullet
233 Goffena Rd
Chadron NE 69337
800-865-1312

I like the 230 WC over 5.6 gr. of VV N 350. Gets 900 fps (207PF) .38 Spl brass seated to the crimp groove.

Some folks use Blue dot

Excerpt from an exchange I was having with the folks at VV while I was doing the load development: "Just got back from the range a few minutes ago. It started raining, else I'd still be there. Here are some preliminary results. Actually I may have enough data that I don't need to dig much further, but I probably will if time is not a problem.

I used my wife's new S&W 686 plus (7-shot), 6 inch barrel. It was sent to mag-na-port for dual traps (4 holes of braking) and installation of a patridge front sight with the McGivern gold bead. This required machining. When it returned I did an action tuning job. Then I loaded up some rounds and headed out.

I used Federal (no. 100) Small Pistol Primers in every instance.

Winchester .38 Spl Brass

R&R 230 grain Lead Wadcutter seated to the crimp groove. COL 1.458 inches Bullet is about .8925"

4.2 grains V V N350, Moly-Kote on bullets, V average = 719fps Sd= 10 fps

4.2 grains V V N350, regular lube on bullets, V average = 726 fps Sd= 8 fps

5.3 grains V V N350, regular lube on bullets, V average = 853.8 fps Sd= 10 fps

6.4 grains Blue Dot, regular lube on bullets, V average = 8 74 fps Sd= 8 fps (this was reference)

Accuracy is superb. I had loaded some with 5.0 gr. of VV N350 but left them behind in my race to beat the rain. So have no data. I wanted to check linearity of velocity versus charge weight response. I find this is useful in avoiding high pressure situations.

I plan to load 5.4 or 5.5 grains for competition as a power factor of l95 is considered minimum for bowling pin shooting and we need to allow for some tolerance in the reloading equipment.

I'll let you know how it works if you are interested. This pinbuster bullet has really made the .357 Mag a viable competitor in this game.
"

Cheers,

Norm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted