Tuesday, January 02, 2007

No Electricity Sucks

Just before 9am. this morning the power went off, again! The wind was blowing, and has been blowing, for a couple of days, but not a really hard blow like you would expect to knock out the power. I think what's causing most of the problem is that the ground is saturated from the steady rain. That makes the soil so soft that it doesn't take much wind to blow down the trees.

We've had more power failures this year in the last month or so than we've had in the last ten years combined. The generator fired up on the second pull. If I'd spend the money to replace the starting battery I could fire it up with the start button. One upgrade I am going to do to the generator is to put a good voltmeter on it so I can see exactly what the output voltage might be. Checking the generator with a good digital voltmeter showed it to be a bit high, so a slight change in engine speed brought it down to where it ought to be.

From the Generator I go to a good surge supressor then to a 12ooVA APC voltage stabilizer, then to an APC 1200VA uninterruptable power supply. From there I can power up my computers, and network. So far it seems to work pretty well.

Not losing the power at all would be a whole lot better, though!

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 03, 2007 8:54:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It must be nice to have a generator. I live in an apartment so the generator is out of the question. I have been eyeing a battery pack that I saw Random Nuclear Strikes. I might get two of these for me and the wife. If I have to leave the residence I can go over to a buddies place. But for the most part our power company is pretty good about getting the power on with in 24hrs.

 
At Wednesday, January 03, 2007 3:54:00 PM, Blogger Rivrdog said...

Scalawag: I just put up the post over at Paratus regarding just the kind of equipment apartment dwellers need.

Http://rivrdog.typepad.com/Paratus

Mr. C: Isn't it about time you shorted the electric company bill for unreliable service?

 
At Thursday, January 04, 2007 3:20:00 AM, Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Man!
You guys are on a roll this year, Mr. C.
Hope this is the last outage for a while.

BTW, do they set the gens a little high so they don't end up running at a low voltage under heavier loads? Just curious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted