Monday, July 11, 2005

E-Postal Rifle Match #1

Re-printed in it's entirety is the announcement regarding the E-postal Rifle Match #1, taken directly from Random Nuclear Strikes:

e-Postal Match Announcement

Hello Ladies and gentlemen.

This week’s match is linked here, but I would ask that you please read this short introduction beforehand. Thank you.

I would like to welcome you to the first of what I hope will be a long running series of internet based firearms competitions. These will be for fun only and should not be taken overly seriously because super-serious people do not have a whole lot of fun.

One item I would like to stress that should always be taken very seriously is firearms safety. ALWAYS treat EVERY firearm as if it were loaded, ALWAYS keep your finger OFF of the trigger until you are ready to shoot and NEVER point a firearm at anything you do not wish to destroy.

Please remember at least those three rules of firearms handling at all times. I will not be responsible for someone hurting themselves or someone else and you can guarantee that these will end if someone screws up and does so.

Now that we have the quasi-legal mumbo-jumbo out of the way, let me explain what I am hoping to accomplish here:

First off, I want to encourage as many folks as possible to get out to the range as often as possible. I consider going to the range to practice my rifle and pistol skills only once a month each (two trips to the range) to be a bare minimum. While I may have done satisfactorily on my last outing, that doesn’t mean that I can do that again in 30 days. I also seem to have an addiction to the smell of burned gunpowder.

Next up, I want to get new people to start shooting. Offering them an opportunity and excuse to start shooting seemed like a good idea to me. I also want to help folks improve their shooting skills as well as improve my own. I will post my own target when I post the task so that, if nothing else, you can try and beat me (which shouldn’t be too difficult).

And lastly, I want as many riflemen and riflewomen as American can hold, which should be equal to its total population between the ages of 12 and 120. Every person a rifleman, as I like to say.

Yes, that means I want children to take part in this. If I have enough minor age participants, I will create a class just for them.

On the subject of classes; as of this time I have no system down to divide up folks who join in the fun. All classifications will be based on participation. If I can get more than five or six people in any one classification, either by age, firearm or whathaveyou, I will split those folks off from the main group and give them their own space as well as grade them with the whole of the participants.

Aside from a certificate of accomplishment, there are no prizes being offered at this time. I have received an offer of a future prize from a fellow gunny blogger (and it is a doozy!), but right now, I want to see how many folks are willing to play along before I start spending my own money on prizes. I’m hoping to get enough people invloved that by the third or fourth go around, I can start offering items to win.

However, I will not stand for ‘prize-queens’ and participation in at least the previous two matches will be mandatory before you can qualify for the prize. My game, my money, my rules.

The same goes for ‘sandbaggers’. I promise you that I will not play any favorites, take any bribes or skew the results in any way shape or form to help any shooter. One of the main tenets of a rifleman is Honor; I will play this straight up and fairly and I ask that everyone else do so as well.

The drills I will be posting will include specific guidelines, plus any variations I can think up that may qualify, as well as a target that you can download and print out at home. All of my targets will be standardized to an 8 ½ x 11 inch piece of paper to make it easier for everyone involved.

After you have completed the task, please e-mail your results to me at AnalogKid (-at-) softgreenglow (-dot-) com. I would prefer you to count up the points and, if possible, send me a picture or a scan of the target in the e-mail. Rifle match tasks will be posted every second Monday of every month. You will have two weeks to go to the range and send me the results. I will examine all of the results and post them on the Monday following the due date.

My partner in this endeavor, Mr. Completely, will be posting tasks for the pistol portion of this e-game on the fourth Monday of every month. He has the same requests and rules as I do. On July the 25th, the due date for your rifle results, he will be posting a pistol task for you to at his website and I encourage you to take part in that portion of the e-Postal Matches.

I thank you for reading this introduction and rules post and I wish you all good luck in the competition and happy shooting.

Posted by AnalogKid at July 11, 2005 12:25 PM

NOTE: I plan to get the handgun e-Postal match #1 target and task posted a couple of days early, like maybe July 22nd., or 23rd., as I'll be in Montana shooting a few pins a a fund raiser for the Montana Shooting Sports Association.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted