Friday, August 03, 2007

Harlem Nocturne - Danny Gatton

I haven't put up a "Musical Interlude" for a while, but every so often I come across something to share that's is truly exceptional. The original hit version of Harlem Nocturne by the Viscounts has always been one of my favorites, the haunting melody, the base line, the drum work, they all fit together so well to make the song a masterpiece, evoking images of Mickey Spillane novels.

When I heard the Howard Roberts version of the song, I was again blown away, as Howard had moved it to guitar, but kept the same bluesy jazzy feel to the song.

Recently I came across another amazing version of the song, this time by Danny Gatton. Danny's version stays true to the bluesy feel of the song, yet he gets there from a somewhat different direction. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!



If this video doesn't play smoothly for you, you can try using the YouTube link HERE, which sometimes works better.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Friday, August 03, 2007 8:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lotta sideways movement in those strings!!

 
At Monday, August 06, 2007 12:15:00 PM, Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Mmm...that's tasty!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted