Sunday, May 20, 2007

Shooting Quote of the Unspecified Temporal Interval *

In a previous post I mentioned having your handgun go into "Magic Mode" in competition, where everything sort of goes on auto-pilot and you almost feel like a spectator, watching the match through your sight. I came across this quotation on The Encyclopedia of Bullseye Pistol's website that describes the phenomonon:
"The truly great shooters pay little or no attention at all to their competition, or anything else for that matter. For them, the contest takes place inside their head. The real struggle is to get in the zone. When they find it, the rest just seems to happen. It's as if the world around them melts, the distractions disappear and the universe is reduced to the few simple elements of eyes, hands, gun and target."

- Gabby Hulgan (1996 NSSA World Skeet Champion)
Title 'borrowed' and modified from Engineering Johnson.
Thanks to Manfred for reminding me of the website.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Sunday, May 20, 2007 1:49:00 PM, Blogger Manfred said...

I didn't read this one, I totally agree.

About the "auto pilot" mode I think you are right,it's exactly the feeling I had once with my python while shooting steel plates, unfortunatly it never happened again that way, probably a matter of concentration.

 
At Thursday, May 24, 2007 12:20:00 PM, Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Finding and reproducing such "flow" experiences is the ultimate goal for a lot of athletes. I've done it once on my dirtbike and it was nearly mystical. Makes you want more and keeps you coming back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted