Sunday, December 24, 2006

An Alaska Moose Story . . .

An Alaska Moose Story . . .

. . . and a Good Start for Christmas!

When this little guy was little; he lost his mother too soon. So the Alaska Department of Fish and Game brought him to Wendall and Debbie. They asked them to get the little moose raised to a safe age to turn him loose again. They took care of him and bottle fed and after a while they fed him with their cows.

So last spring he was a year old and it was time to turn him back into the wild. They opened the gate and off he went. He stayed gone all summer; then this fall he was back with the cows! He really thinks he is a cow! For now all were happy to see him . . . he is a pretty friendly fella!
He loves honey buns and will eat them right out of your mouth! Wendall and Debbie live up in the mountains and so it came time to bring their cows down. Well . . . the moose was lonely all by himself so he headed down to find another herd of cows to hang with.

The neighbors called about a week later and asked Wendall to please come and get his Moose. So Wendall headed out with a honey bun, bucket of grain and the horse trailer and brought the moose back home.

The moose is free to go anytime he wants but is choosing to stay put for now. Surely, come spring he will start to feel a bit like a boy Moose and take off . . . but, for now he seems happy!








Merry Christmas to All!

(Merry Chris-Moose?)


Thanks to Luke for the story....

6 Comments:

At Monday, December 25, 2006 7:10:00 AM, Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Merry Christmoose?
*groan!*
Heh.

Merry Christmas to you and Keewee!!!

Mr. and Mrs. jimmyb :)

 
At Monday, December 25, 2006 3:49:00 PM, Blogger Manfred said...

Merry Christmas from muriel and myself to you and Kee wee !

 
At Monday, December 25, 2006 8:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas! God bless us every one.

No, not one human soul will ever confuse me with tiny tim.

 
At Tuesday, December 26, 2006 5:23:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, my sister was once bitten by a moose...

 
At Tuesday, December 26, 2006 7:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

talk about cat blogging. Friday moose blogging looks good to me.

 
At Sunday, January 07, 2007 1:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this story and belatedly share your sentiments. I learned the hard way. I fed an Alaska moose spinach for months from my front porch. Then she calved and brought junior by. A meter reader came to the house while I was taking her picture from a few feet away. I asked if he wanted a picture with her. He warily consented. I got a great shot of him back pedaling in mid-air as mama stomped her front hooves, her hair stood straight up, ears laid back and she SNORTED. I'm a vegetarian and I suspect he smelled like mooseburgers, or a two legged wolf after the calf. I should have learned in California years ago, when 'coons I'd fed ate my neighbor's ornamental fish. DON'T FEED THE ANIMALS!

By the way, I Googled the names Wendall, Debbie and moose, and found your story and others claiming it happened in Alaska (very doubtful) and Labrador.

Bluff City, KS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted