Thursday, September 29, 2005

More news on Buzz

Here's another update on Buzz from his Mom:

Buzz had to have surgery to debreed one of his shrapnel wounds, Friday the 16th. He did very well. He continues to do well. His spirits are good.

Friday September 23, 2005….. They took the c-collar off!!! Now he can turn his head.

Saturday September 24, 2005……My sister, Janie and I brought Ashleigh, (Buzz's 3-year old) to see him for the first time since July 15. Buzz's wife, Sarah talked to her before taking her in to see her dad. Explaining he “has a boo boo” and couldn’t get out of bed. Buzz had tears streaming down his cheeks when he saw his baby girl. Ashleigh gave him a big hug and a kiss and sat on his bed to talk to him.

Sunday September 25, 2005….Today is the “one month” anniversary of the “incident” in Iraq that could very well leave Buzz unable to walk. It’s also one week till Buzz’s 36th birthday, October 2.

While we were in the dining area at the Hotel, we noticed they were bringing out whole cakes for the Sunday brunch. We bought a cake from the Hotel and took it with us to celebrate an early birthday for Buzz. What a great idea!!! We took a carrot cake to the hospital and sang “Happy Birthday” to him.

Ashleigh laid in his bed with him and watched TV and read a book to him. It was a great day, but I know we stayed too long and really wore him out.

Janie and I got to meet one of the guys from Buzz’s unit, Chuck Yerry. He was one of the soldier's who helped pull Buzz from his vehicle in Iraq after it hit the mine. Chuck was injured in a gun fight the week after Buzz was hurt. He’s on the same floor but in a different ward. Chuck lost most of his right leg and has damage to his left leg. His room number is 5734 if you want to send him a card.

It looks like Buzz will be at Walter Reed for a while longer. The doctors have decided they need to do a skin graft on the shrapnel wound that was debreded last Friday. No date has been given for the graft.

I talked to Buzz this evening he's spirits are good. His blood count is low and he's still running a low grade fever from time to time. He's taking iron and a multi vitamin but it will take time to get his blood count back where it needs to be. I wasn't aware until the visit last weekend but he had to have 4 units of blood before he got to Walter Reed.

He passed out twice this week from doing more than he should. He's figured out now when he starts getting light headed, he needs to stop for a few minutes and rest. One day last week he even wheeled himself back from physical therapy!!

They are letting him have 6 small meals a day instead of 3 larger ones. He gets full and can't eat much at one sitting so this seems like a good plan.

Still no date for the skin graft.

Thanks for the cards, letters and well wishes...but as always mostly thanks for keeping my son in your prayers.

Take care,

............Buzz's Mom

Here's the addresses for Buzz and Chuck.

Walter Reed Army Medical Center

Patient: SFC Richard C. Robertson
Room 5861
6900 Georgia Avenue NW
Washington, D.C. 20307

Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Patient: Chuck Yerry
Room 5734
6900 Georgia Avenue NW
Washington, D.C. 20307

UPDATE: You can send emails of support to either Chuck or Buzz at


Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted