Tuesday, June 14, 2005

BB Gun Science project banned ....HUH?

"AMHERST, Mass. - Two middle school students who spent months working on a science project to prove how dangerous BB guns can be were disqualified from the state middle school science fair because BB guns are too dangerous."

Get this:

"The scientific review committee does not consider science projects involving firearms to be safe for middle school students....''

BB guns AREN'T firearms. No fire, not a firearm. (sigh!)

Read the whole article here.

Hat tip to AnalogKid over at Random Nuclear Strikes for this one.

2 Comments:

At Friday, June 17, 2005 11:18:00 AM, Blogger Countertop said...

Heh.

Senior year of high school - two weeks after I turned 18 - some buddies and I went squirrel hunting in the woods behind my house one saturday morning to unwind from a football game. Part of the property was an undeveloped state park and part of it was owned by a local water authority as it housed their resevoir and a decent sized dam.

Anyway, as we made our way back to our cars, we were greated by a worker for the water authority as well as a numner of police cars - the occupants of which promptly detained us and upon discovering I was the only 18 year old arrested me for illegal possession of an unregistered firearm. My arguments of - its a BB gun not a firearm were useless as BB guns were clearly included in the definition under Jersey law. Luckily though, my mom was pretty active in the community and we were good friends with the chief of police who saw to it that I was promptly released once my parents had been informed of what I did. Of course, I didn't get the BB gun (a nice crossman pump) back.

I left the state shortly afterward.

 
At Friday, June 17, 2005 11:41:00 AM, Blogger Mr. Completely said...

Ah, yes, isn't New Jersey one of those states that has NO violent crimes at all, due to their "progressive" gun control laws?

Terrorists and gang-bangers with Daisy BB guns, just makes you quake in your boots, don't it!!

(humph......)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted