Saturday, October 06, 2012

Blogging With The Dragon

I have always had a difficult time blogging being as I am a very slow typist. To compensate for this, I am now experimenting with the Dragon naturally speaking software to see if I can actually dictate text to then cut and paste or drop into the blog. So far it is sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but so far it seems like maybe it has some possibilities.

I can see that this is going to take me some time to figure out exactly how to to make it do all the things that I need it to do. Everything can be done by speaking to run the keyboard rather than actually hitting the key but the keyboard can be used too. 

If you tend to ramble on and speak in somewhat disjointed manner (who, me?) Dragon Naturally Speaking is very good at reproducing that rather accurately, not necessarily a good thing. So far, the accuracy of the speech recognition seems to be fairly good. I have also tried using Dragon Naturally Speaking to enter numbers into a spreadsheet using Excel. So far, that seems to work fairly well also.

I will keep you posted as this experiment progresses, and hopefully I will be able to get more blogging done in less time, and keep everybody up to date on all of the things going on. As for things going on, right now there's a ton of them.

Stay tuned, I will keep you posted.

(Previous text was dictated with Dragon, but it took a bit of editing to clean it up.Not bad for a first attempt.)

Update:Dragon does not seem to be able to dictate directly into Blogger. I have to dictate the text into something like Word Pad, then cut and paste it into Blogger. There may be a way to do Blogger directly, but I haven't figured that out yet.

3 Comments:

At Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've used Dragon for almost 10 years in a medical office. It has improved dramatically during that time.

It is hypersensitive to microphone placement, and I've had the best luck using headsets and boom mikes. I use an older version of "The Boom" with great success.

http://www.knowbrainer.com/NewStore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=111&idcategory=17

If you haven't found it yet, the Knowbainer Forums are a wealth of information on the use of DNS.

http://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/index.cfm

Are you going to make it to Ephrata Saturday. Great weather expected!

I may try to talk Grant into a road trip to your new match in a couple of weeks!

Bill

 
At Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bill,

I won't be getting to Ephrata as Kitsap is shooting a full 8 stage steel challenge on the same day. Say HI to Grant and the guys for me!

Mr. C.
##

 
At Friday, October 12, 2012 9:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We'll miss you, but I will let Grant know!

Good luck!

Bill

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All contents copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and beyond, unless otherwise noted